Old 04-04-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Ron in Radio Heaven

Default Plant question

I've been away from the group for a while.

I have a plant question,
more than a year ago I put a small bunch of Cilantro
in the filter, we didn't have much of a winter here in NC
and now that warm is here it has gone nuts.
The veggie filter is full of it as is the trickle tower.
Is it as good at filtering out the junk as Water hyacinths?
I got a box of hyacinths in the mail today and wonder
if I should take the cilantro out of the filter to make
room for the hyacinths.

Since the goldfish have gotten big Water hyacinths don't
really get a chance to grow in the pond since the fish eat
the roots off.

Ron in NC

Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:04:14 GMT, " Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote:

I have a plant question,
more than a year ago I put a small bunch of Cilantro
in the filter, we didn't have much of a winter here in NC
and now that warm is here it has gone nuts.
The veggie filter is full of it as is the trickle tower.
Is it as good at filtering out the junk as Water hyacinths?

You bet ya, and it is established.

Course if it is growing well now, you may be over come by July. ;-)

**The plant that ate NC and Ron the Radio Man.** ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

~ janj wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:04:14 GMT, " Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote:

I have a plant question,
more than a year ago I put a small bunch of Cilantro
in the filter, we didn't have much of a winter here in NC
and now that warm is here it has gone nuts.
The veggie filter is full of it as is the trickle tower.
Is it as good at filtering out the junk as Water hyacinths?

You bet ya, and it is established.

Course if it is growing well now, you may be over come by July. ;-)

It also tastes better. ;-) When I've grown cilantro it has always
bolted, gone to seed and died by midsummer. I'd be reluctant to veggie
filter with only cilantro unless it grows differently in a pond.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds

Marilyn the Pond Lady says to put in different plants since they each pull out more
of different things. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-04-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Altum wrote:

~ janj wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:04:14 GMT, " Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote:

I have a plant question,
more than a year ago I put a small bunch of Cilantro
in the filter, we didn't have much of a winter here in NC
and now that warm is here it has gone nuts.
The veggie filter is full of it as is the trickle tower.
Is it as good at filtering out the junk as Water hyacinths?

You bet ya, and it is established.

Course if it is growing well now, you may be over come by July. ;-)

It also tastes better. ;-) When I've grown cilantro it has always
bolted, gone to seed and died by midsummer. I'd be reluctant to veggie
filter with only cilantro unless it grows differently in a pond.

You must not eat it fast enough. We grow it in the greenhouse, and it lasts
year round (it's _just_ hardy enough to survive in our greenhouse through
mid-winter), but my wife eats it _every_ day (I can live without it, but I
get my share). It gets loose though... it's a tad invasive. Fortunately
it doesn't survive in our outdoor beds.
--
derek