Old 14-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bruce

Default Large siphon question

I am trying to use a 4" flexible corrugated plastic pipe to siphon from
my pond into a small pool and then to a stream bed. I have no problem
getting the flow going, but after a few days the flow rate goes down.
Then after about a week it stops altogether.

I did not need to use quite the capacity of the whole 4" line (but
wanted the high water pressure it provided to form a fountain on the
downside) so I added a cap in the pond at the top/supply side with many
3/8" holes. I was thinking that originally having the whole end open
was causing enough of a whirlpool effect that air was slowly building
up in the line and causing the siphon to eventually be lost, but the
change has not seemed to have any effect, besides reducing the flow
rate.

ANY ideas? It is not a big deal to restart the siphon now, but I want
the pipe to be buried/hidden in rocks and gravel and then it will be
MUCH harder to re-establish the siphon.

Thanks,

Bruce

Old 14-04-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Bruce" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to use a 4" flexible corrugated plastic pipe to siphon from
my pond into a small pool and then to a stream bed. I have no problem
getting the flow going, but after a few days the flow rate goes down.
Then after about a week it stops altogether.

Siphons are incredibly difficult to maintain. If the fill rate into the
suction side does no keep pace with the suction from the siphon, then the
water level will slowly drop and the siphon will suck in air. Or if debris
temporarily clogs the siphon entrance, the vacuum could suck an air bubble
in from the discharge side and break the siphon as well.

You may have to reengineer a solution that does not rely on a siphon. Pump
fill and gravity return is the most reliable. (Again provided a leaf or
something doesn't clog the return line)

-S

Old 15-04-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

[...]

Hi Bruce. I think it may be due to the pipe being corrugated. Go with
smooth pipe, see my website www.jjspond.us click on *My Filter* and
scrolled down to the pictures below the filter diagram. This is how I
restart my siphon when needed. The line under ground is 3". ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-04-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"Hal" wrote in message

Water does separate into H2O when boiled

What is water before it's boiled?

Old 19-04-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mister Gardener

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:45:02 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

"Hal" wrote in message
.. .

Water does separate into H2O when boiled

What is water before it's boiled?

Is this a trick question?

-- Mister Gardener

Is this possible? Non-electric trickle fountain based on siphon idea sealy Ponds (alternative) 5 24-09-2012 11:31 PM
anti siphon valves John H. Lawns 6 26-08-2005 05:01 AM
Lowe's siphon pond cleaner thingy... AngrieWoman Ponds 2 25-08-2003 05:03 AM
Pump to prime siphon hose Jeff Kessler Ponds 11 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
DIY CO2 tube creating reverse siphon ??? SlimFlem Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 20-04-2003 06:17 AM