Old 25-04-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default How do I keep my fish from breeding?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small pond, about 300 gallons, and initially started with just
about 10 goldfish I bought for a dollar. That was a few years ago, and
the fish are now quite large, about the size of a large perch. My
problem is that they keep breeding. I've stocked all of my neighbor's
ponds, but would like to stop the flow of new batches. Is there
anything that can be done to keep them from breeding without harming
them?

You can sex them easily this time of the year. Remove all the females, or
perhaps just keep one. The males will have white bumps on their gill
covers. Keep those. Do it before mid summer as they lose the bumps after
the breeding season. The bumps will almost look like grains of sugar.

Other than keeping all males there is no way to stop them from breeding.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.