Old 15-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default BREEDING DISTURBANCE, FISH - UK

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:24:27 +0100, Oz
wrote:

BREEDING DISTURBANCE, FISH - UK
*******************************
A ProMED-mail post
Source: BBC News, 10 Jul 2004 [edited]

Pollution changes sex of fish
-----------------------------
A third of male fish in British rivers are in the process of changing
sex due to pollution in human sewage, research by the Environment
Agency suggests.

That's about the same figure for boyz in Thailand at the British
tourist resorts. Catching perhaps?

A survey of 1500 fish at 50 river sites found more than a third of
males displayed female characteristics. Hormones in the sewage,
including those produced by the female contraceptive pill, are
thought to be the main cause.

The agency says the problem could damage fish populations by reducing
their ability to reproduce. It said its study highlighted the need
for water companies to develop new treatments.

There has been concern for some time that chemicals, known as
endocrine disruptors, are causing fish to change sex. The latest
study is the 1st to show the scale of the problem in Britain.

================================================= ====================

At least they aren't blaming pesticides any more ....

Oh yes they are. Way and above anything else, bad farming is to blame
for many ills in the world today.

Shame many of the village idiots are dead and wont be reaping what
they sow.

Sweetcorn root disturbance Steve Harris United Kingdom 5 03-04-2008 04:06 AM
How do I keep my fish from breeding? Snooze Ponds 2 28-04-2006 05:34 PM
How do I keep my fish from breeding? Koi-Lo Ponds 4 26-04-2006 04:04 AM
Breeding Fish A Davis United Kingdom 8 27-10-2004 08:48 PM
Fish Breeding. IAN GARDNER Ponds (alternative) 7 30-08-2003 09:32 PM