Old 29-04-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Water Lily - no Pond

On 29 Apr 2006 07:25:28 -0700, wrote:

So I impulsively bought a water lily at Lowe's. It was encased in a
plastic container, surrounded in a granola looking clay material. I
took it home and found a deep pot that will hold water, at least 16
inches tall. I took it out of it's outer plastic container, stuck in
in the water, then filled the pot with pebbles, becuase it seemed like
the thing to do.

So, can I expect this to do anything? Will it just grow like that?
It's been there for about a week, and I'm not quite sure but I think it
may have started to grow a bit. I'm in the northeast, near Allentown
Pennsylvania. What can I expect?
-DaveK

You can expect it to grow for sure. The pot may or may not be big enough
for the spread of the pads when they surface. There are mini water lilies
that do better in small water gardens.... but you can always get a bigger
pot. Those brightly colored utility tubs with rope handles for about $5 at
Lowe's work well.

You will need to pick up some Jobe's or Miracle Grow tomato plant spikes to
insert into the pot every 2-4 weeks. Give the pot morning sun for 6 hours
and then shade after, so the water doesn't get too hot. What do I expect?
You to get hooked on water gardening. Yea, another Porg, ~ jan )
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a