Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Default New fish in pond....

Hi,

We inherited a pond when we bought our house 2 years ago. There were already 4 goldfish in it but we added two koi, one of which we never saw after a few weeks.

Today, my gf was cleaning a bit of weed out when she netted a small, green fish that had a silvery gold underside. One of the existing goldfish had been looking a bit chubby recently(!) so is it possible that it has spawned?

So, a few questions....
Are young goldfish green?
Is it likely that only one would have survived or should we expect more? (i.e. how many fish are expected from 'a spawn')
Is there anything in particular we need to do to assist it?
When should we expect it to change colour?

Ta,
Xeno
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

We inherited a pond when we bought our house 2 years ago. There were
already 4 goldfish in it but we added two koi, one of which we never
saw after a few weeks.

Today, my gf was cleaning a bit of weed out when she netted a small,
green fish that had a silvery gold underside. One of the existing
goldfish had been looking a bit chubby recently(!) so is it possible
that it has spawned?

So, a few questions....
Are young goldfish green?

Yes, green to black.

Is it likely that only one would have survived or should we expect
more? (i.e. how many fish are expected from 'a spawn')

I bet more, especially if you have great hiding places.

Is there anything in particular we need to do to assist it?

Nope, leave it be.

When should we expect it to change colour? Xeno

They start to change within months to sometimes years, and sometimes never.
~ jan

-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

We inherited a pond when we bought our house 2 years ago. There were
already 4 goldfish in it but we added two koi, one of which we never
saw after a few weeks.

Good combinaation Gold fish and Koi so the chances of offsprings being
mutts are great.Mutts or lullets are mixed and not worth a dam in
regards to anything but eating food and making a mess. Ask carol
gulley about half breeds, she is an expert in that area. from what I
hear.

Today, my gf was cleaning a bit of weed out when she netted a small,
green fish that had a silvery gold underside. One of the existing
goldfish had been looking a bit chubby recently(!) so is it possible
that it has spawned?

So, a few questions....
Are young goldfish green?

Yep, as well as black, green, blue, red, orange striped, polka dotted.

Is it likely that only one would have survived or should we expect
more? (i.e. how many fish are expected from 'a spawn')

1,355,290 on average

Is there anything in particular we need to do to assist it?

Yep, they sell fish formula at lfs and smallnursing bottles. They need
to be fed every 3 hours and burped. Diapers are optional.

When should we expect it to change colour? Xeno

Ask the fish, its his / her decision. It may be blue todayb and black
tomorrow and green the next......they are like that.

-----------------

My opinion and only my oipinion. Opinion its the whole thing!

Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"~ janj" wrote in message
[...]

I've got two in the aquarium that never got past silver, except the odd
organge highlight, eyes, lips. But several (not sure how many) in the indoor
pond have already gone completely orange or orange/black in less than a
season.

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Spring Time...New Pond Life...New Pond Group BenignVanilla Ponds (moderated) 3 28-03-2007 07:06 AM
New Pond Fish Pics George Ponds 4 05-07-2005 09:55 PM
Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours. [email protected] Ponds 99 20-08-2003 08:02 AM
New Pond Kills Fish Rand Simberg Ponds 15 08-07-2003 12:42 AM
move fish to new pond??? Loren Wickline Ponds 6 04-03-2003 04:15 PM