Old 14-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
keith_nuttle

Default Gold Fish

The gold fish laid eggs and now we have many little new gold fish. Can
anyone tell me how fast these fish grow? Can someone relate the age of
the fish to their length? ie. 1/2" 1ST week etc.

I believe the eggs were laid about the 1st of June. They are now about
1/2" long.
Old 14-06-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
. com...
The gold fish laid eggs and now we have many little new gold fish. Can
anyone tell me how fast these fish grow?

If they have the space, clean water, aeration and plenty of food they can
grow pretty darn fast. :-) Some of mine have reached 6 to 7" in a year when
kept indoors and 4" or so outdoors in zone 6 (shorter feeding period).
These are guesstimates as I didn't actually measure them.

Can someone relate the age of
the fish to their length? ie. 1/2" 1ST week etc.

No one can say for sure because it depends on temperature, water quality and
foods fed plus how often you feed them.

I believe the eggs were laid about the 1st of June. They are now about
1/2" long.

You can try more partial water changes and feed them more often for faster
growth. Also, some will grow faster than others.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-06-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Koi-Lo fat loose woman wants sodomy

wrote:

Buxom hot-back with narrow hairy heaven and soft sweater swellers
requires dreary spooge gun for masterful pussy bumping. Mail me at

Old 15-06-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

You would have been better off buying a tin of crackers and turning
them in to cheap caviar snack.....Who cares how old a half inch fish
is. Its destined to be come fish feed anyhow.

Old 15-06-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

I hear husband Randy and her sodomize each other all the time.......

Old 15-06-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote:

The gold fish laid eggs and now we have many little new gold fish. Can
anyone tell me how fast these fish grow?

All depends on food, space & water quality. Maximum, my guess would be 4-6"
in a year for comets, 3"-5" for fancies. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

As the others have said, their growth rate depends on how much food they have. I havent seen anywhere near the growth stated by the others and where my fry are left in the pond with the adults I would say they would be up to 2" after one year but those would be exceptionally large for that enviroment, the average would be an inch to maybe 1.5".
I have had some fry in a pond on there own and there most reached 2" in the first year. Anything under an inch if healthy would be under 1 year.
I had some that were in a wildlife pond and out of 50 or so I think only 3 or 4 survived but from memory they were big briusers for their age and were between 2 and 2.5" after one year but those would have to have been the fittest of the added fry because the pond was stocked with stickle backs which would have given them stiff competition
Old 15-06-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
keith_nuttle

Default Gold Fish restate question

I am trying to determine how many days it will take the fry to reach a
size that they will no longer go through the screen that keeps the fish
out of the pump. I believe they are about ten days old and appear to be
about 1/2 inch.

The pond is about 1500 gallons, and the water was changed just be for
the fish spanned. I have four adult fish in the pond about 4" long.

Old 15-06-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Hard to say s ince I can not see the screen from here. Depends on the
size screen you have, and also how far away the screen is postioned
form the suction of the pump also plays a part.

Just what is the rush to remove the screen? I assume its getting
blocked by debri etc. How big is the intake openings in the pump
itself? Personally I woud not be in a rush to remove the screen as
even decent sized fish 1 or two inches can and do get sucked into a
pump intake. It does not take much to suck a fish of 1/2" l;ength
into any decent pump intake.

Old 15-06-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:38:21 GMT, keith_nuttle wrote:

I am trying to determine how many days it will take the fry to reach a
size that they will no longer go through the screen that keeps the fish
out of the pump. I believe they are about ten days old and appear to be
about 1/2 inch.

The pond is about 1500 gallons, and the water was changed just be for
the fish spanned. I have four adult fish in the pond about 4" long.

Ooooh, probably a couple more weeks is my best guess. ~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium