Old 15-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered User

Default best value for plants in my pond

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on what does the plants do for the pond and whats best value plants to buy
any help would be appericated
Old 15-06-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Depends on what yu want to accomplish. but n gewneral they take in
excessive nurtrients which usually promote algae blooms, and utilize
these undesireable byproducts of fish to make them grow, and in the
process they help keep the water in tune to what is desirebale. They
add looks, add shade, and also add food both by plants fish eat or aby
attracting insiects that inevitably get eaten by the fish.

There are three basic types, submerged, types add oxygen to the water
and help to rmove carbon dioxide....Then yu got the floating type
aquatic, which are like liys and lotus, which provide shade and are
considered heavy feeders of nutrients. Othrs in this group are
sensitive vine, aquatic clover etc.

Then the marginal or bog types like iris, cat tails, rush, pickerel
reed, thalia etc, which are planted in shallow water to areas that
just border wet ground whch serve to hold the ground inplace and
provide a habitat for other critters as well as add color and
attraction. This group is probably the largest group associated with
ponds, and is quite diverse in whats out there.

Most plants are relativley cheap considering most canbe split and
divided later that year if your fortunate to live in a suitbale area
like zonre 8 or higher, and if not, the next year all are most
certainly suitable for dividing. MOst can simply be submerged i thr
pnd during winter months or left where rthey are at and they do
fine....so there is quite a good diverse selection of marginals out
there that will surely fit any region. Iris are nice and do pretty
darn good in most all regions.
Check out the followoing links for some good info on whats available
for the various regions.

http://springdalewatergardens.com/

http://www.bonniesplants.com/index.html

http://ccwaterscapes.com

The above links will giv eyu a real good idea on lots of aquatic
plants and ideas on where and how to use them and areas they do well
in.
Garden Web forum also has a sectin devoted strictly to pond plants
which is a very good place for asking questions and not get led astray
in a waring usenet group as this and other aquaria groups on usenet
are. Answers are usually much quicker and not subject to bashing as
they are here.

Old 15-06-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"tolwoods" wrote in message

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on
what does the plants do for the pond

They help shade the water. They help purify the water and support
microscopic pond life. They make the pond look more natural. The fish have
hiding places to feel secure and to breed.

and whats best value plants to buy

That depends on your tastes and what you want to spend. Tropicals that need
yearly replacement are a waste of money to some people. What one person may
find attractive in a plant may not excite you at all.

any help would be appericated

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-06-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Yet another peanut from the peanut gallery heard from.........Koi lo
aka carol gulley the ho of the aquaria groups. Pay no attention to
her, she is having a bad day with folks picking on her, but she brings
it on herself since she is nothng more than an attention whore. If it
wsa not for copy paste she would not have a clue.

Old 15-06-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Chubby Teen Koi-Lo Nailed

wrote:

Thick-headed love-peddler with hairless love cave and ailing maracas
pines for incapable rhubarb for definitive rollicking. Mail me at

Old 15-06-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on
what does the plants do for the pond and whats best value plants to buy

any help would be appericated

I would help you, but in general I am just a stupid **** who has to
rely on other posters for my information. I hope this helps.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Old 15-06-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote:

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on
what does the plants do for the pond and whats best value plants to buy

any help would be appericated

Plants filter, remove nitrate. Best value for the buck would be watercress
at your local grocers. Next would be conditioning canna bulbs for the pond.
Water iris, usually cheap, and great filter plant. Creeping primrose, water
hyacinth, water lettuce, to name a few.... ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-06-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunman

On rec.ponds, in
,
"Koi-Lo" wrote:

I would help you, but in general I am just a stupid **** who has
to rely on other posters for my information. I hope this helps.

I can UNDERSTAND that Carol...
Somedays you are just not at your best there. :-P

--
Anti-Troll FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/d8e4

Ignore the grassy knoll, there is only one Lone Gunman.
Old 16-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

and I like water celery. it sucks up a lot of stuff

wrote:

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on
what does the plants do for the pond and whats best value plants to buy

any help would be appericated

Plants filter, remove nitrate. Best value for the buck would be watercress
at your local grocers. Next would be conditioning canna bulbs for the pond.
Water iris, usually cheap, and great filter plant. Creeping primrose, water
hyacinth, water lettuce, to name a few.... ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 16-06-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

I hear that if yu take CArol Gulley and hold her up by her ankles and
place her head first into the pnd she sucks up a lot of stuff
too......just like she does when she holds down those late nght corner
areas .

wrote:

ive been putting a pond in my garden, im looking for advices and help on
what does the plants do for the pond and whats best value plants to buy

any help would be appericated

Plants filter, remove nitrate. Best value for the buck would be watercress
at your local grocers. Next would be conditioning canna bulbs for the pond.
Water iris, usually cheap, and great filter plant. Creeping primrose, water
hyacinth, water lettuce, to name a few.... ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 18-06-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

Yea those pink flamingos Carol has in her front yard. All trailer park
trash have pink flamingo's.........They are so ****ing cute....
Hey Dr. Solo, ya getting any on ya lately?

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:58:01 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:37:45 GMT, wrote:

and I like water celery. it sucks up a lot of stuff

Me too, good stuff, and the flamingo is very pretty. ~ jan

Old 18-06-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

flamingo?

~ janj wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:37:45 GMT, wrote:

and I like water celery. it sucks up a lot of stuff

Me too, good stuff, and the flamingo is very pretty. ~ jan
-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 18-06-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lo-Koi

Try water celery.......its pink/white/green as is the varigated so
called strawberries and cream ribbon grasses.......which is sold for
$8.99 for a 2" pot in aquatic stores but n the lawn and gareden center
its only $1.99 for a 6" pot........

I just pulled and tossed 2 wheel barrows of the water celery
(varigated ) yesterday, and probably 6 times that amount of sensitive
fern........losy count of parrots feather and frog bit and aquatic
clover, but the days of aquatic clover are about history as I pretty
well have it whipped into extinction now.

166 lily blooms yesterday

Living in the osuth is super, only thning that would make it better
is if they run Carol Gulleys ass back to New York City! She gives a
bad name to what ever state she inhabits.

Only flamingo's is those pink ones Carol Gulley and Ed Alston has in
the front of their trailer homes.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:57:45 -0700, ~ janj
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:50:23 GMT, wrote:

flamingo?

That's what they call it here, the stuff that is variegated green, white,
pink. Also call water parsley by some. ~ jan