Old 22-06-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jack Schmidling

Default Catfish Dieoff

This is my second experiment with catfish in my pond.

Two years ago I put in 25 and a pound of minnows and within a few weeks
they started appearing at the surface cruising around and shortly later,
floating dead. By the end of summer, they were all gone.

This year I only put in 12 and the minnows but it looks like deja vu all
over again. I didn't keep count but I just fished out another one today
and this is close to if not the last one.

I installed an aerator a few days ago but two have died since.

There are several mitigating circumstances.

1. Because of my experience, the hatchery lady threw in 6 albinos for
my trouble. I have not found any dead albinos... just the regular
channel cats.

2. The minnows are so happy they are breading and there are zillions of
little ones all over the pond but many head in towards the bubbler. I
suspect this is just standard behavior of swimming up stream but I
suppose it could indicate low oxygen elsewhere but none of the adults,
cats or goldfish are there.

Any thoughts?

My pond is 15 years old, natural bottom, 40 ft diameter, 6 ft max depth.

js

Old 22-06-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:35:31 -0600, Jack Schmidling wrote:

This is my second experiment with catfish in my pond.

Two years ago I put in 25 and a pound of minnows and within a few weeks
they started appearing at the surface cruising around and shortly later,
floating dead. By the end of summer, they were all gone.

This year I only put in 12 and the minnows but it looks like deja vu all
over again. I didn't keep count but I just fished out another one today
and this is close to if not the last one.

I installed an aerator a few days ago but two have died since.

If they were already damaged by lack of air, perhaps it didn't come soon
enough? The key is, will any more die in the next week or so? What is the
temp of the water? ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 22-06-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
2. The minnows are so happy they are breading and there are zillions of
little ones all over the pond but many head in towards the bubbler. I
suspect this is just standard behavior of swimming up stream but I suppose
it could indicate low oxygen elsewhere but none of the adults, cats or
goldfish are there.

Any thoughts?

My pond is 15 years old, natural bottom, 40 ft diameter, 6 ft max depth.

==================
Have you run some tests to see what the PH and water temperature is? It
sounds like it may be a combination of a lack of oxygen due to very warm
water, and perhaps the wrong PH for the fish you're trying to keep. You may
want to add another bubbler or two.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-06-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Hey Carol you do not have the first ****ing clue on whats going
on.take a ****ing hike bitch!L:Ik e just what is he going to do to
adjust ph in sunch a large naturalbottom pond..........its prertty
much what its gonna be no matter what you do and if you fooled with
natural ponds you would know that......a natural bottom poond is not
a sealed self contained body of water even if it does resemble one as
its suroundings affect it more than a ****ing koi pond with a liner or
made from kiddies pools..........go get lost Carol.

Old 23-06-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jack Schmidling

~ janj wrote:

If they were already damaged by lack of air, perhaps it didn't come soon
enough? The key is, will any more die in the next week or so? What is the
temp of the water?

I didn't get a chance to measure it but it is probably 80f in the
shallows and on the surface. When I pull up a bunch of pond weed in the
deep water, it pulls cold water with it and feels at least 20 degs cooler.

I did measure the pH and it is 7.38.

js

Old 23-06-2006, 07:15 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I didn't get a chance to measure it but it is probably 80f in the
shallows and on the surface. When I pull up a bunch of pond weed in the
deep water, it pulls cold water with it and feels at least 20 degs cooler.

I did measure the pH and it is 7.38.

js

How's your buffering/KH? What kind of air pump/air stone are you using, is
it big enough to the do the job? ~ jan
-----------------

Old 23-06-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Default Catfish Dieoff Y'all come to the fish fry compliments of Jackie old Boi!

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:34:50 -0500, "Koi-Lo" the dumbass wrote:

*Note: There is only one dumbass named "Koi-Lo on the pond and aquaria groups,
her name is Carolyn Gulley.

"Jack Schmidling" another jerk scrated inthe dirt the following message
2. The minnows are so happy they are breading and there are zillions of
little ones all over the pond but many head in towards the bubbler. I
suspect this is just standard behavior of swimming up stream but I suppose
it could indicate low oxygen elsewhere but none of the adults, cats or
goldfish are there.

Any thoughts?

Yea, your a dumbass . if you were here, I cold oblige yu and put a
size 11 up your dumbass for you.....you may like it though....What is
breading? Is that like flouring them minnows up and rolling them in
bread crumbs or what? And I seriously doubt there is zillions of
them. Your freaking lying like your hero Carol Gulley........How do yu
know those minnows are happy Jack..you going down them or what?
I really think you have yourself pulled silly........

My pond is 15 years old, natural bottom, 40 ft diameter, 6 ft max depth.

A mere duckweed infested mud puddle

And its coverdd in duckweek which yu bmake yur old lady go out and
cleanoff ina rubber duckie boat and fish net.......my bootm is natural
also, do yu want to feel it? hahahahah Jack Shitling

Snip more of that assinine crap Carol Gulley posts since its
imaterial to life or this post anyhow...........as its just more shit
from a babbling idiot.

Your replys welcome.......Come back again Jackie Boi

Bee dieoff [email protected] Gardening 15 05-05-2007 12:14 AM
Oncidium root dieoff? jtill Orchids 3 22-05-2006 06:53 PM
lawn dieoff mystery Dave Gower Lawns 1 12-05-2005 02:49 PM
lawn dieoff mystery Dave Gower Gardening 1 09-05-2005 03:42 AM
Catfish For Food [email protected] Ponds 1 03-02-2003 10:37 PM