Old 13-07-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Leeches in the UK

Are the leeches common in UK ponds, rivers, etc. the type that attach
themselves to you and suck blood?

Old 13-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Leeches are almost inevitable in a planted pond, however those in my ponds do not appear to be the blood sucking types, I believe that means they eat detritus.
Old 14-07-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

sean mckinney wrote:
Leeches are almost inevitable in a planted pond, however those in my
ponds do not appear to be the blood sucking types, I believe that means
they eat detritus.

I think the non-blood sucking types mainly eat living things, i.e. they
are predators. No time to look for a proper reference link, I'll
apologise in advance in case the following insults your intelligence

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critter...Hirudinea.html

I've seen leeches swimming in the river Soar, against the current.
Quite good swimmers.

Old 15-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Not insulted, always ready to be corrected with factual material, the detritus thing is some thing I seem to remember from a book, hence "believe"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...feature3.shtml

http://www.naturegrid.org.uk/pondexp...ery/leech.html
an interesting one as I have seen many of the cocoon like objects and thought that that was what they were.

http://www.uaex.edu/wneal/Pond_Manag...s/leeches.html

these all result from a google for "pond leeches" and I would assume there are many more interesting pages.

Old 16-07-2006, 11:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

sean mckinney wrote:
Not insulted, always ready to be corrected with factual material, the
detritus thing is some thing I seem to remember from a book, hence
"believe"

Since I posted the above link I read that there are quite a few leech
species that are "scavengers". That sort of leech, IMHO, would be a
cool thing to have in an aquarium.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/cr...tter/leech.htm

"Other leeches eat a more "civilized" diet of dead plants and animal
matter."

I read that blood sucking leeches (of fish or other creatures) would be
attracted by splashing. I spent some time splashing in the river Soar
with a stick, but the leeches seemed to take no notice whatsoever. And
the river Soar has huge numbers of leeches.

Old 16-07-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

we have leeches in the usa also. The majaor type is the carol gulley
leech on society......it come sin plague proportions and morphs to
stave away eradication.

Yikes !!! (Leeches) (Kathy Bette E Ponds 0 16-07-2004 05:02 AM
leeches Fred Ponds 22 13-02-2004 08:28 PM
leeches? GaneaRowenna Ponds 8 05-06-2003 06:44 AM
Leeches Floyd Ponds (alternative) 5 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
advice needed for spring cleaning/catch those leeches Mike Sullivan Ponds 0 19-04-2003 04:32 PM