Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
GaneaRowenna

Default leeches?

I have something in my pond that look like leeches, but I am not sure. They
range fron 1/4 in to 2 inches, they are clear with tiny black dots on them.
They are jelly like. They are on the backs of my lily pads and on the sides of
my filter box. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 PM
K30a

They are not moving are they?
I'm thinking they are snail eggs.
Snails lay them on any fairly smooth surface.

They start out as clear jelly then get little
dots in them. Eventually tiny snails head out
and get snarfed up by fish.

k30a
Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 PM
GaneaRowenna

Thanks, that sounds just right. I received some lilies from my aunt in CA last
year, and they came with snails attached. I live in the high desert in NV and
have never seen a snail here, so they must have come from there. I guess I
won't try to scrape them off if the fish will eat them.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 AM
John Rutz

--

snail eggs

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tbumpy

So what do leeches look like? We get these 1/2 inch black things that seem
attracted to the filter in the pump and have to clean it out at least once a
month or they start to clog it up. Pretty gross little things.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 AM
K30a

Tbunny wrote So what do leeches look like?

Well the ones I get from my ponding friend are dark, dark brown. They have a
'sucker' on one end and if you watch them swim they are very wavy in their
motion. They stretch from 3/4 inch to almost an inch and a half while swimming.
The ones we have are detritus eaters (dead plants, poo, dead zooplankon
corpses).
I 'tested' mine with some liver. They turned up their noses so I knew they'd be
safe with my dwarf aquatic frogs.

I keep them in my pondlets to clean the gravel.
And I name them all Osama Bin Laden but I think the next one will be Saddam.

k30a
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Tbumpy

Leeches have noses?! And how will you tell which one is Saddam? The one with
the mustache?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

Tbumpy wrote Leeches have noses?! And how will you tell which one is Saddam?
The one with
the mustache?

LOL!
Yes, and it is heck to groom it every morning!

k30a
Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

She won't, Saddam Leech will hire (under the threat of being thrown out of
the pondlet to dry to deat) all the others to imitate & look just like him.
;o) ~ jan

Tbumpy wrote Leeches have noses?! And how will you tell which one is Saddam?
The one with
the mustache?

LOL!
Yes, and it is heck to groom it every morning!

k30a

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Leeches 2pods Ponds 10 20-07-2004 08:06 AM
Yikes !!! (Leeches) (Kathy Bette E Ponds 0 16-07-2004 05:02 AM
leeches Fred Ponds 22 13-02-2004 08:28 PM
Leeches Floyd Ponds (alternative) 5 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
advice needed for spring cleaning/catch those leeches Mike Sullivan Ponds 0 19-04-2003 04:32 PM