Old 14-07-2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cam

Default pond filter noise

I have a submersible pump feeding an upflow filter. It makes an
annoying noise. The pump itself is silent and the sound of the water
flowing into the pond is pleasant. The problem is the sound of the
water flowing out of the filter. It makes a rushing/gurgling sound. The
water leaves the filter through a closet flange in the side of a
barrel. Can anyone offer a tip on how to silence it? It drowns out the
waterfall.

Cam

Old 14-07-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On 14 Jul 2006 04:19:58 -0700, "Cam" wrote:

It makes a rushing/gurgling sound. The
water leaves the filter through a closet flange in the side of a
barrel. Can anyone offer a tip on how to silence it?

Give it a larger opening to exit?

Regards,

Hal
Old 15-07-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I have a submersible pump feeding an upflow filter. It makes an
annoying noise. The pump itself is silent and the sound of the water
flowing into the pond is pleasant. The problem is the sound of the
water flowing out of the filter. It makes a rushing/gurgling sound. The
water leaves the filter through a closet flange in the side of a
barrel. Can anyone offer a tip on how to silence it? It drowns out the
waterfall. Cam

A bigger opening from filter to waterfall may do the trick. ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 15-07-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cam

~ janj wrote:
I have a submersible pump feeding an upflow filter. It makes an
annoying noise. The pump itself is silent and the sound of the water
flowing into the pond is pleasant. The problem is the sound of the
water flowing out of the filter. It makes a rushing/gurgling sound. The
water leaves the filter through a closet flange in the side of a
barrel. Can anyone offer a tip on how to silence it? It drowns out the
waterfall. Cam

A bigger opening from filter to waterfall may do the trick. ~ jan
-----------------

The water returns via 1 1/2 inch hose, the waterfall is fed by a
separate pump.

I don't have the ability to increase the size of the opening without
rebuildind the filter and replacing the hose. I tried jamming a piece
of filter material into the opening and the noise disappeared! the
water level in the barrell rose a little but now it all runs
silent.Thanks for the ideas.

Cam

Old 15-07-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

The water returns via 1 1/2 inch hose, the waterfall is fed by a
separate pump.

I don't have the ability to increase the size of the opening without
rebuildind the filter and replacing the hose. I tried jamming a piece
of filter material into the opening and the noise disappeared! the
water level in the barrell rose a little but now it all runs
silent.Thanks for the ideas.

Hi Cam - I have no idea what is causing the "noise" - I have built 40 - 50
upflow filters for customers and use a 2" return bulkhead and line and have
yet to hear about the noise you are talking about
the piece of filter material you jammed into the return line is an
accident waiting to happen as the filter material will load up and slow the
flow until your barrel overflows and pumps your pond down
Gale :~)

Old 15-07-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On 15 Jul 2006 05:47:49 -0700, "Cam" wrote:

The water returns via 1 1/2 inch hose, the waterfall is fed by a
separate pump.

I don't have the ability to increase the size of the opening without
rebuildind the filter and replacing the hose. I tried jamming a piece
of filter material into the opening and the noise disappeared! the
water level in the barrell rose a little but now it all runs
silent.Thanks for the ideas.

A rebuild might be easier than keeping the filter material clean to
prevent the barrel overflowing. My water runs clear at this time,
but still clogs my finer filter material about once a week, and I'm
not dealing with 1 1/2" diameter, more like 20x20 filter with a flow
of 1200 gph.

Regards,

Hal
Old 15-07-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

the piece of filter material you jammed into the return line is an
accident waiting to happen as the filter material will load up and slow the
flow until your barrel overflows and pumps your pond down
Gale :~)

My first thought also. If OP can get to the opening/hose seems they could
enlarge it, perhaps with a heat gun and stretcher? ~ jan

-----------------

Old 16-07-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cam

G Pearce wrote:
The water returns via 1 1/2 inch hose, the waterfall is fed by a
separate pump.

I don't have the ability to increase the size of the opening without
rebuildind the filter and replacing the hose. I tried jamming a piece
of filter material into the opening and the noise disappeared! the
water level in the barrell rose a little but now it all runs
silent.Thanks for the ideas.

Hi Cam - I have no idea what is causing the "noise" - I have built 40 - 50
upflow filters for customers and use a 2" return bulkhead and line and have
yet to hear about the noise you are talking about
the piece of filter material you jammed into the return line is an
accident waiting to happen as the filter material will load up and slow the
flow until your barrel overflows and pumps your pond down
Gale :~)

The water is siphoning out of the filter and makes a flushing sound as
it rushes out in pulses. I'm going to try lowering the whole filter to
reduce the height differnce.

Cam

Old 16-07-2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
G Pearce

The water is siphoning out of the filter and makes a flushing sound as
it rushes out in pulses. I'm going to try lowering the whole filter to
reduce the height differnce.

AHH - does your return line have a "low spot" in it - i.e. - does it have a
gentle, gradual fall to where it discharges? - if there is a sag in the
line, that could cause a gurgling sound, and if the sag (or low spot) in the
return line is enough, it will overflow your barrel - the return line must
either be level or have a down slope with no sags
Gale :~)

Old 16-07-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim

Is the gurgle like a 'burp' i.e. bubble releasing or like a falls
within the pipe? I am trying to figure how the flow gets to sound like
a gurgle.

How big a diameter does the closet flange have? Our returns are 4"
toilet flanges exiting 55 gal barrels. They handle a large flow. The
water flows down a standing pipe if we use the bypass we built into the
falls. The sound is the water falling about 4' vertical inside a pipe.
It does not compete with the waterfall, but is a distinct sound.

Do you know what water motion is causing your sound?

Jim.

Old 17-07-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cam

G Pearce wrote:
The water is siphoning out of the filter and makes a flushing sound as
it rushes out in pulses. I'm going to try lowering the whole filter to
reduce the height differnce.

AHH - does your return line have a "low spot" in it - i.e. - does it have a
gentle, gradual fall to where it discharges? - if there is a sag in the
line, that could cause a gurgling sound, and if the sag (or low spot) in the
return line is enough, it will overflow your barrel - the return line must
either be level or have a down slope with no sags
Gale :~)

there is no low spot, it slopes gradually for 6 feet to the pond

Old 17-07-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Is the gurgle like a 'burp' i.e. bubble releasing or like a falls
within the pipe? I am trying to figure how the flow gets to sound like
a gurgle.

I used to have a veggie filter (15 gallon aquarium) mounted above my 200
gallon aquarium, and had plenty of opportunity to watch this phenomenon.
If you have a really big pipe, so that there's always air space, but the
water can pass it by, you don't get gurgling. If you have a really small
pipe, or the outlet is always below water level, you won't have gurgling,
but have to worry about the possibility of overflow. Probably, if you can
keep the outlet pipe vertical (at least from an elbow exiting the filter)
you won't get the gurgling.

What happens is that, as the water level in the filter rises, air gets
caught in the outlet pipe. As the water level (and pressure) gets higher
and higher, the bubble gets pushed further into the pipe, until it escapes
out of either end (causing the gurgling), then water rushes out of the pipe
until the level in the filter is once again below the top of the outlet
pipe - and more air gets into the outlet.
--
derek
Old 18-07-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö

~ wrote:

.

In just the right way.

i am a 33 year old woman.it is very hard for me to get an erection.is
something wrong with me???

It could be worse, janj. Your insides could be rotting and falling out
of your arse.

My first thought also.

I see, you're a coffee fiend.

I'm a VETERINARIAN. I do it with sick animals.

You really are sick, aren't you, janj?

If OP can get to the opening/hose seems they could enlarge it, perhaps
with a heat gun and stretcher? ~ jan.

It's different stages.

.

You're a little late. [Catching you by surprise]

.

I don't get it.

.

Liar.

Also ponding troll free at: http://groups.

TROLL! Where?

google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium.

You could be a Dominator. Put an ad in the personals.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

sunday noise Gilbert United Kingdom 58 05-08-2003 09:02 PM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM
noise Tumbleweed United Kingdom 14 08-05-2003 07:56 AM
Accoustic landscaping for neighbor noise bentcajungirl Lawns 7 29-04-2003 06:56 PM
Waterfall Noise and Koi Carl Beyer Ponds 2 22-04-2003 03:20 PM