Old 14-08-2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bob Bob is offline

Default Plumbing question about valve placement

I am replacing a submersible pump in an existing pond/waterfall with an
external pump and pressure filter. I want to direct all of the flow to
the waterfall, i.e., the output from the pump and the filter is to go
to a single 2" pipe that supplies the waterfall.

How should the ball valves be positioned to correctly control the flow
to the pressurized filter and the flow of the waterfall?

Can I tie the output of the pressurized filter back into the line
feeding the waterfall?

Should I tie the output of the pressurized filter in before or after
the valve that controls the waterfall rate?

Here is a diagram of what I am planning. Is this correct?

_____________________________________
| ___ ___ |
| +----------|_X_|-----+---|_X_|--+-- Waterfall
| | ^ | ^
| | Valve to control | Valve to control
| | filter rate | waterfall rate
| | ______ |
___|___|___ | |__|__
| out in | | Pump |_____|----+
| | |______| _|_
| Pressure | | |
| Filter | |\| Check Valve
|___________| |_|

_|_
/___\ Strainer

Thanks

Old 16-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

"How should the ball valves be positioned to correctly control the flow
to the pressurized filter and the flow of the waterfall?"
1 valve between the pump and filter and another valve in the presumable filter bypass

Can I tie the output of the pressurized filter back into the line
feeding the waterfall? yes