Old 16-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Laura

Default Plumbing question

I'm new to ponds, having just filled the 11x13 pond about 10 days ago
and I love it already. Nothing like having the opportunity to play in
dirt and water! We (husband and I) have some bundles of anacharis and
some floating plants - water lettuce and water hyacinth. We also
just put in three Red Cap Oranda goldfish which are now about 2-3"
long.

The question I have is concerning plumbing from the filter to the
pump. My husband got some rubber automotive heater hose at Home
Depot, but I'm worried that it may contain some toxins and harm the
fish and/or plants. Can anyone shed some light on this for us? If
this isn't a good idea to use this type of hose, what would be
preferable. I think he went with this because it's black and of
course would blend in with the liner.

Thanks,

Laura & Andy
Zone 9b
Old 17-05-2003, 03:08 AM
John Rutz

--
most probly be ok

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Laura

On Fri, 16 May 2003 16:15:00 -0500, John Hines
wrote:

(Laura ) wrote:

The question I have is concerning plumbing from the filter to the
pump. My husband got some rubber automotive heater hose at Home
Depot, but I'm worried that it may contain some toxins and harm the
fish and/or plants. Can anyone shed some light on this for us? If
this isn't a good idea to use this type of hose, what would be
preferable. I think he went with this because it's black and of
course would blend in with the liner.

It is unlikely to contain anything toxic if it is new. You could rinse
it out real thorough before using.

What you really want is the black pvc pipe sold in the irrigation
department, for sprinkler use. comes in up to 2" size, along with
fittings.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a good soak and rinsing
before putting it in the pond.

Thanks,
Laura