Old 15-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Bob Sisson

Default Clean Plants ?

We just mucked out our pond for the spring....

Drained the pond, moved the fish to a kids pond, and then the work began.

Pumped it down and then started raking, sweeping and power washing.

Yes, yes I know don't wash off all the good stuff. Well, the "good stuff"
was a foot thick in places.

Many many buckets later, we filled it again (well water) started the pumps,
and moved the fish back.

The water was COLD, so I wasn't worried too much about the fish, although
one did jump out of the kiddy pool and spend some time in the mulch before
we noticed. Seems happy now in his CLEAN pond.

However... I have to think that the lilies contributed a LOT to the muck on
the bottom. I know the aquatic "soil" (looked like kitty litter) was
everywhere BUT in the Lilly containers. Same with he small stones and
anything else.

What can we put in the pond in the way of plants that won't "Migrate" to the
bottom, shed leaves into my filter, and can deal with LARGE rocks for soil
(Something the fish won't move).

How big a pond you ask...

Take a look...

http://www.sissonfamily.com/pages/pond.htm

Our Six (6) Koi survived another winter, along with about 8 Comets and 6
Shubunkins (sp?) a frog and a catfish. They all survived (so far) being
moved twice today, and all but the cat fish seem to like a cleaner pond.

My wife would love to keep it aquarium clear, but I don't think I can do
that with any plants.

all ideas welcome....

--

Remove VERMIN to reply

Bob Sisson
Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall

http://www.SissonFamily.com/bob

Old 15-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Bob, and Mrs. Bob, please consider this my application to be adopted! I am
gainfully employed as an Architect, have my own health insurance, and
promise not to build more than 15,000 gallon over stocked and over fed pond.

You don't have a house, you have an estate in the true sense of things, your
grounds and your pond, ....wow, and then the grounds. I could feel at home!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 15-04-2003, 04:20 AM
GD

Water hyacinth is likely "dirtier" than water lilies: the water
hyacinth grows quite rapidly and has a very high leaf attrition rate
(it sheds lots of dead leaves, contributing to the muck at the bottom
of your pond). Then again, water hyacinth is the better of the two at
reducing nitrogen and phosphorus compounds in the water column,
thereby limiting algal blooms.

You mention the kitty litter originally in your water lily pots had
dispersed throughout the pond. The water lilies are not to blame for
this, however. It's more likely your koi and catfish.

I noted with keen interest the impact a common carp population had on
a small pond I recently drained. Sister, carpless ponds were loaded
with endemic submersed and emergent vegetation (100% coverage), clear
water (you could see the bottom at six foot depths), and consolidated
(firm) sediments. The pond infested with carp, however, was devoid of
vegetation (except for a few small patches of Vallisneria, Sagittaria
and an assortment of submersed aquatic plant species protected with
cages for research purposes), murky (visibility under six inches), and
the soft bottom (shin deep muck) was littered with small craters.

These ponds are approximately 3/4 acres in surface area, each
containing roughly 750,000 gallons of water. There were twelve adult
carp in the denuded pond. That is roughly 1 fish per 60,000 gallons
of water. And there were virtually no plants left. And sediments
were shifted significantly. And....koi are naught but selectively
bred common carp.

Exclude the fish from your plants and pots, and they will become
cleaner, as should your pond..

Old 15-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Sacrilege!! Stone him!!!

Snip:
"GD" wrote in message
" The pond infested [INFESTED?????]with carp, however, was devoid of
vegetation (except for a few small patches of Vallisneria, Sagittaria and an
assortment of submersed aquatic plant species protected with cages for
research purposes), murky (visibility under six inches), and the soft bottom
(shin deep muck) was littered with small craters."

Are you saying that our beloved koi (carp) are undisciplined, dirty little
heathens? My fish *resemble* your remark!!!

(Long sighhhh....) You're quite correct. But they look sooooo pretty!

Lee

Old 17-04-2003, 03:56 AM
GD

They're gorgeous. But high maintenance. And I am not often enough
stoned.

"Lee Brouillet" wrote:

Sacrilege!! Stone him!!!

Snip:
.. .

Old 17-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

GBG

Lee

Old 18-04-2003, 03:56 AM
~ jan

LOL! Great comeback! ;o) ~ jan

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:51:22 GMT, GD wrote:

They're gorgeous. But high maintenance. And I am not often enough
stoned.

"Lee Brouillet" wrote:

Sacrilege!! Stone him!!!

Snip:
"GD" wrote in message
. ..
" The pond infested [INFESTED?????]with carp, however, was devoid of
vegetation (except for a few small patches of Vallisneria, Sagittaria and an
assortment of submersed aquatic plant species protected with cages for
research purposes), murky (visibility under six inches), and the soft bottom
(shin deep muck) was littered with small craters."

Are you saying that our beloved koi (carp) are undisciplined, dirty little
heathens? My fish *resemble* your remark!!!

(Long sighhhh....) You're quite correct. But they look sooooo pretty!

Lee

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 19-04-2003, 02:32 AM
adavisus

What can we put in the pond in the way of plants that won't "Migrate" to the
bottom, shed leaves into my filter, and can deal with LARGE rocks for soil
(Something the fish won't move).

You could cut down on plants which tend to cause litter, water
hyacinth and water lettuce will really dump a lot of sludge in a pond,
when the first frosts hack at them... keep plants well trimmed when
the water is warm enough to paddle in and have a more regular routine
to 'net out' debris so its less of a shock when a clear out needs
doing.

Most aquatic plants cope with planting in bucket sized tubs of
ordinary soil, with a topping of 2" stones, pebbles to keep fish off
the plants

There are some plants which have 'choice' habits, they grow steady,
dont become invasive, and dont cause serious debris...

some plants can turn to 'mush' or soft sediment, these may be
convenient as the old foliage break down quick, naturally:

Calla Palustris (Bog Arum) 12"
Caltha Palustris (Marsh Marigold) 12"
Caltha Palustris Alba 8"
Caltha Palustris Plena 20"
Caltha Polypetala 36"
Hippuris Vulgaris (Mares Tail) 12"
Myriophyllum Aquaticum.* (Parrot's feather) 9"
Myriophyllum brasiliense.* (Parrot's feather)
Peltandra Virginica (Arrow arum) 2'
Sagittaria Latifolia (Arrowhead) 18"
Sagittaria Sagittifolia Japonicus (Arrowhead)
Sparganium Erectum (Burr Reed) 18"
Zantedeschia Aethiopica (Arum lily) 2-4'
Zantedeschia Crowborough 2

some aquatic plants create 'sticky' foliage, easy to trim when its
faded, grasses, sedges, some reeds etc, you might see these as
creating less litter in the pond as they create fibrous foliage which
stays on its pot for trimming

Acorus Calamus Variegatus (Sweet Flag) 30"
Acorus Gramineus Variegatus 12"
Butomus Umbellatus (Flowering Rush) 30"
Carex Pendula (Pendulous Sedge) 24"
Cyperus Alternifolius (Umbrella Grass) 2-6'
Cyperus Chilensis 2-4'
Cyperus Papyrus 6' Egyptian Papyrus
Eriophorum (Cotton Grass) 12"
Eleocharis Montevidensis (Spike Rush) 9"
Equisetum Hyemale (Giant Horsetail) 4'
Glyceria Aquatica Variegata (Manna Grass) 12"
Houttuynia Cordata (Pagoda plant) 18"
Houttuynia Cordata Variegatus 12"
Hydrocotyle Vulgaris (Marsh Pennywort) 4"
Iris Kaempferi 36"
Iris Laevigata 2'
Iris Laevigata Snowdrift 2'
Iris Laevigata Variegata 2'
Iris Louisiana (Various) 3'
Iris Pseudacorus (Yellow Water Flag) 4'
Iris Sibirica 2'
Iris Versicolor Kermesina 18"
Juncus Effusis Spiralis (Corkscrew Rush) 2'
Menyanthes Trifoliata (Bog bean) 12"
Mimulus (Various) 6-24"
Phalaris Picta (Gardeners garters) 4'
Phragmites Communis (Common Reed) 6'
Pontederia Cordata (Pickerel) 2'
Saururus Cernuus (Swamp lily) 2'
Scirpus 'Zebrinus' (Zebra rush) 3'
Thalia Dealbata 4'
Typha Angustifolia (Lesser Reedmace) 5'
Typha Laxmanii (Gracefull Cat tail) 40"
Typha Minima (Dwarf Reedmace) 18" tiny

regards andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps