Old 15-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Frogs and Fishes

Haven't noticed noticed any frogs in my pond this year. I had noticed
a shortage of fish. I think I lost about 8 of them over winter.

Yesterday I learned the reason. I think.

I was cleaning the gunk out of the bottom of the pond and kept
dredging up dead frogs. Had already fished out some dead fish.

The only reason I can think of is that we had weather as cold as 21
below zero. We rarely get down to even zero here. I think my frogs
and fish froze to death.

Yet, half my fish are still there including 4 babies that managed to
survive the cannible instincts of the other fish.

I have never had such a loss before.
Old 15-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Chris Tondreau

It's quite possible that the fish & frogs did freeze to death, or that there
wasn't enough oxygen for them all. That's what happened to our pond a
couple of years ago - we had lots of babies, but none of the larger fish
made it.

Jacqui

Old 16-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Unless it froze solid, the temp didn't get below 32. More likely lack of
oxygen than frost.

Sorry to hear of the loss.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
wrote in message
Haven't noticed noticed any frogs in my pond this year. I had noticed
a shortage of fish. I think I lost about 8 of them over winter.

Yesterday I learned the reason. I think.

I was cleaning the gunk out of the bottom of the pond and kept
dredging up dead frogs. Had already fished out some dead fish.

The only reason I can think of is that we had weather as cold as 21
below zero. We rarely get down to even zero here. I think my frogs
and fish froze to death.

Yet, half my fish are still there including 4 babies that managed to
survive the cannible instincts of the other fish.

I have never had such a loss before.

FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
I Saw My fishes today!!!!!!!!!! :) MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 3 17-03-2003 12:44 AM
Other Fishes?!?!? BenignVanilla Ponds 5 12-03-2003 12:49 AM
Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 22-02-2003 07:00 AM