Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Frog in or out

I have a 60gal kidney shaped pond.
I clean, put the green frisbee pond heater in, take the pump out and
cover it with half inch square plastic screen griding.

Last year the frog stayed under a rock under the water all winter. This
year will he be alright?
Yesterday, I did the winter close up. The frog was not in the pond when
I started, but when I picked up a flat rock by the rim he was under, he
jumped in and is floating with his eyes and molth near the top, happy as
could be.
Do frogs usually stay under water or on land?
I'ts not a big bull frog, but smaller.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

THANK YOU
for nothing

Old 02-11-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

Peter Smith wrote:
THANK YOU
for nothing

Patience is a virtue.
Froggie will be fine, he'll look after himself.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I have a 60gal kidney shaped pond.
I clean, put the green frisbee pond heater in, take the pump out and
cover it with half inch square plastic screen griding.

Last year the frog stayed under a rock under the water all winter. This
year will he be alright?
Yesterday, I did the winter close up. The frog was not in the pond when
I started, but when I picked up a flat rock by the rim he was under, he
jumped in and is floating with his eyes and molth near the top, happy as
could be.
Do frogs usually stay under water or on land?
I'ts not a big bull frog, but smaller.

=======================
The frogs in our ponds stay in the pond all winter. They remain in the
small amount of plant and leaf litter on the bottom. Most survive.
Occasionally one will not make the winter and I net it out in spring. I'm in
zone 6 (middle TN)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.ponds

Köi-Lö wrote:
I'm in zone 6 (middle TN)

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows
what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?

thanks,
steve

Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

thanks, I didn't mean to be rued.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows

what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?

thanks,
steve

Assuming you're in the USA:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

Gail Futoran wrote:
"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows

what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?

thanks,
steve

Assuming you're in the USA:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Thanks, Gail. I'm in zone 8a, drizzly yet mild Seattle.

steve

Old 03-11-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.ponds

Peter Smith wrote:
thanks, I didn't mean to be rued.

no prob
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 03-11-2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Köi-Lö wrote:
I'm in zone 6 (middle TN)

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows
what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?
==========================
Someone else will have to help you there as I got the original information
long ago, before I got online. I'm sure a quick Google will get you there.
:-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

=?iso-8859-1?B?S/ZpLUz2?= wrote:
"default" wrote in message
Köi-Lö wrote:
I'm in zone 6 (middle TN)

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows
what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?
==========================
Someone else will have to help you there as I got the original
information long ago, before I got online. I'm sure a quick Google will
get you there.
:-)

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/...845218,00.html

~Semper Fi~
Old 04-11-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.ponds

"default" wrote in message
ups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
"default" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi, I'm new to this ponding business and I'm seeing everybody knows

what zone they're in. Where's the map that shows these zones?

thanks,
steve

Assuming you're in the USA:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Thanks, Gail. I'm in zone 8a, drizzly yet mild Seattle.

steve

You're welcome. Lovely area you live in.

Gail

Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.ponds

Peter Smith wrote:
THANK YOU
for nothing

Patience is a virtue.
Froggie will be fine, he'll look after himself.

Yup, I agree with froggie info.

This newsgroup has been under siege for almost 2 years, thus the ponding
posts are few and far between, thus we regulars have become more irregular.
I use to check in constantly thru-out the day. Now more like once every
other day or 3. Many old RPers lurk, but they rarely post due to the trolls
now days. Those of us sticking with it have our kill-filters loaded with
them. :-( ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 AM posted to rec.ponds

Peter,
in Britain female frogs overwinter on land - usually somewhere protected
from frost such as a hole in a wall. Male frogs overwinter at the bottom
of ponds, ready for when the female frogs return in spring. They are torpid
so don't need more oxygen than they can absorb through their skin.
Davy

Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds

Davy wrote:

Peter,
in Britain female frogs overwinter on land - usually somewhere protected
from frost such as a hole in a wall. Male frogs overwinter at the bottom
of ponds, ready for when the female frogs return in spring. They are
torpid so don't need more oxygen than they can absorb through their skin.

Neat. I'd never heard that. We often point out to posters that most frogs
(in North America, where most of us are) overwinter on land, but that's the
first time it's been suggested that for some species it's a gender thing.
I always figure they'll work it out for themselves whether they're supposed
to overwinter in the pond or out!
--
derek