Old 13-11-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Below ground filter

I'm considering a bottom drain and a double barrel filter for next year.
Ideally I'd like the pump after the filter to maximize muck removal and
eliminate the need for a pre-filter. Unfortunately this would mean putting
the barrels below ground, which would not be my first choice for a number of
reasons. The barrels would be up against the fence, so there's a danger of
caving it in while digging. This is also where the sprinkler pipes run.
:-( The neighbour has a spruce tree on the other side of the fence which
must have some serious roots poking under the fence. Finally, I'm a little
concerned about springing a leak if I just bury the barrels.

Do the solids handling pumps really work or do I still need some sort of
pre-filter? Has anyone else had to dig up their filter to fix a leak? Did
you build a box/room for your below ground filter? If so, what was it made
of?

Old 14-11-2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:05:23 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

[...]

So far so good here. Filter has been in the ground since 1997 and 2000 at
the D.pond. Both filters have lost their bead of silicon around some of
their bulkheads on the inside (an added precaution) and still are water
tight. Click on My Filter: www.jjspond.us and more pictures at the Demo
Pond link. I highly recommend a prefilter. ~ jan

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-11-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.ponds

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:05:23 -0500, "Bill Stock" wrote:

So far so good here. Filter has been in the ground since 1997 and 2000 at
the D.pond. Both filters have lost their bead of silicon around some of
their bulkheads on the inside (an added precaution) and still are water
tight. Click on My Filter: www.jjspond.us and more pictures at the Demo
Pond link. I highly recommend a prefilter. ~ jan

Thanks Jan, I was hoping you would answer. I'm pretty sure I'm going above
ground, with some SonoTubes to support my Pump House/Water Wheel. I have the
tops for the barrels, so I'm wondering if I can get a good enough seal to
put the pump in the top of the last barrel. I guess we'll see.