Old 16-11-2006, 09:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Koi Fungus

One of my metallic Koi was looking slower than normal so I've netted him &
he's got a bad dose of fungal infection. I've treated & isolated him (in a
small 20 Gallon plastic box) & treated the pond.

He's through the 1st night but the rot / cotton wool has got to a lot (30%)
of his scales.

Question is, how long before reintroduction - is this a period of days,
weeks or months. Do I wait until he's 100% back on track with all signs of
infection gone, or will the isolation stress him out even more? What about
repeat treatments?

Thanks

Old 16-11-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

Beer Rock wrote:

One of my metallic Koi was looking slower than normal so I've netted him &
he's got a bad dose of fungal infection. I've treated & isolated him (in a
small 20 Gallon plastic box) & treated the pond.

He's through the 1st night but the rot / cotton wool has got to a lot (30%)
of his scales.

Question is, how long before reintroduction - is this a period of days,
weeks or months. Do I wait until he's 100% back on track with all signs of
infection gone, or will the isolation stress him out even more? What about
repeat treatments?

Depends on water temperature. I'd wait till he was pretty well healed up
and water temperatures and pH were pretty close. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-11-2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.ponds

it is probably columnaris, but even if it isnt you might want to try potassium
permanganate treatment and then use some antibiotics in the water, and/or feed some
antibiotics.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d....htm#POTASSIUM

how big is this fish in the 20 gallon? I kept my koi in the basement in 100 gallon
stock tanks all winter one year. with a gravity filter it is doable. Ingrid

"Beer Rock" wrote:

One of my metallic Koi was looking slower than normal so I've netted him &
he's got a bad dose of fungal infection. I've treated & isolated him (in a
small 20 Gallon plastic box) & treated the pond.

He's through the 1st night but the rot / cotton wool has got to a lot (30%)
of his scales.

Question is, how long before reintroduction - is this a period of days,
weeks or months. Do I wait until he's 100% back on track with all signs of
infection gone, or will the isolation stress him out even more? What about
repeat treatments?

Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 18-11-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Beer Rock" wrote in message
One of my metallic Koi was looking slower than normal so I've netted him &
he's got a bad dose of fungal infection. I've treated & isolated him (in a
small 20 Gallon plastic box) & treated the pond.

He's through the 1st night but the rot / cotton wool has got to a lot
(30%)
of his scales.

Question is, how long before reintroduction - is this a period of days,
weeks or months. Do I wait until he's 100% back on track with all signs of
infection gone, or will the isolation stress him out even more? What about
repeat treatments?

=========================
I would watch the ammonia buildup in the small box first. And have good
aeration running (an airstone will work). When the fungus is completely
gone and the water temps are equal (cool him off gradually) you can return
him to the pond. But for him/her to have fungus to start with there is
surely some problem in your pond. Overcrowding maybe? A lot of debris and
mulm on the bottom? Decaying food or large dead frog or birds in a small
pond?
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Eye Fungus on Koi Marianne Ponds 27 29-08-2004 08:12 PM
beautiful baby koi.... on catfishfood - some koi/gf mix ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 9 15-11-2003 08:12 PM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 12:04 AM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM