Old 23-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Marianne

Default Eye Fungus on Koi

Hello,
My koi that I have had for 13 years has some white fuzzy stuff growing
from the folds around the edge of one eye socket. I have read about
Formalin and Malachite Green and treated the entire pond every other
day for 10 days. The eye appears to be the same. All other koi and
goldfish in the pond seem fine. The affected koi has become more
"shy", not wanted to eat food unless it floats away into a more
private place. I think he feels fulnerable to the other fish, and/or
cannot see very well. Any suggestions on what to do please? Thank
you Very Much in advance.
Old 23-08-2004, 02:01 AM
George

"Marianne" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
My koi that I have had for 13 years has some white fuzzy stuff growing
from the folds around the edge of one eye socket. I have read about
Formalin and Malachite Green and treated the entire pond every other
day for 10 days. The eye appears to be the same. All other koi and
goldfish in the pond seem fine. The affected koi has become more
"shy", not wanted to eat food unless it floats away into a more
private place. I think he feels fulnerable to the other fish, and/or
cannot see very well. Any suggestions on what to do please? Thank
you Very Much in advance.

Try isolating the fish in a separate tank or large tupperware tub, with an
aerator to provide oxygen, then dose the water with Maracyn II for at least five
days. I would personally dose it for a week. If after a week, it is not
better, you can dose for two weeks. If it is still not any better, then you
might want to call a vet and ask for advice. Of course, if at any time the fish
gets worse, call a vet. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.mardel-labs.com/mardel/f_amedi.html

Old 23-08-2004, 10:59 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:35:11 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

The dye medications are fine, but I have used salt baths for goldfish
with fungus with excellent results. A mild bath for 45 minutes or a
strong bath for 10 minutes works for me. Use sea salt or aquarium
salt.

I'd go this route, salt first, adding some to the pond. Course I'd really
like to know what the OP's water quality numbers are, but since I rarely
get people to fill out the sick fish form, I'd say go he

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html Click on Diseases and
Treatments. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 24-08-2004, 05:14 AM
~ Windsong ~

"George" wrote in message
. ..

Try isolating the fish in a separate tank or large tupperware tub, with an
aerator to provide oxygen, .....

==================
And watch the AMMONIA soar.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative."

Old 24-08-2004, 05:43 AM
George

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

Try isolating the fish in a separate tank or large tupperware tub, with an
aerator to provide oxygen, .....

==================
And watch the AMMONIA soar.

You can control the ammonia level by either putting a small filter in the tub
with ammocarb, or do partial water changes every couple of days. I've not had a
problem with doing this. If the fish isn't eating, it certainly isn't
defacating.

Old 24-08-2004, 10:20 PM
~ Windsong ~

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

. ..

======================================
You can control the ammonia level by either putting a small filter in the

tub
with ammocarb,

** This only works for a few hours - been there, done that. One medium
sized koi can produce a lot of ammonia in a tub. I was doing water changes
3 to 4 times a day.

or do partial water changes every couple of days.

** Only if you have a filter already up and working with nitrifying
bacteria. I was getting ammonia readings after a few hours.

I've not had a
problem with doing this. If the fish isn't eating, it certainly isn't
defacating.

** Ammonia comes from their gills as well as from their feces and urine.
Mine weren't eating at the time either.

Old 25-08-2004, 12:23 AM
George

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

Try isolating the fish in a separate tank or large tupperware tub, with

an
aerator to provide oxygen, .....
==================
And watch the AMMONIA soar.

======================================
You can control the ammonia level by either putting a small filter in the

tub
with ammocarb,

** This only works for a few hours - been there, done that. One medium
sized koi can produce a lot of ammonia in a tub. I was doing water changes
3 to 4 times a day.

or do partial water changes every couple of days.

** Only if you have a filter already up and working with nitrifying
bacteria. I was getting ammonia readings after a few hours.

You can use some of the filter material from the pond filter as starter material
(I didn't do this, though, because I wasn't having a problem with ammonia) and
some of the water from the pond (which has bacteria in it). If the medicine you
use doesn't hurt the beneficial bacteria, it will work fine, and the bad
bacteria will be killed.

I've not had a
problem with doing this. If the fish isn't eating, it certainly isn't
defacating.

** Ammonia comes from their gills as well as from their feces and urine.
Mine weren't eating at the time either.

That is true. Having said that, I just got done treating my big catfish today,
who's been sick for over two weeks now (he had ESC). I only did partial water
changes every two days (because I like to keep the anti-biotic and other
medicine concentration from being diluted too much), aerated the water
vigorously, added maracyn, maracyn II, and a 1/4 dose of melafix every morning,
and he's back in the pond now. I used all three because I've found that the
Maracyn II will treat the illness rather nicely, while the maracyn will prevent
a secondary infection which catfish sometimes get with ESC, and the melafix
helps the fins and soothes the skin. It hasn't started eating yet, but he's a
little skiddish from the move. I'm happy to report that all the red patches on
its skin, gills (which were bad), fins, mouth (which was the worse part), and
nostrils have cleared up completely. It's swimming normally (only hiding when I
move around the pond. But what fish wouldn't after what it's been through?).
I'm going to try to feed it in the morning, if I can coax it to the surface with
some cut up pieces of shrimp (it usually hangs out near the surface in the
morning and the evening). I think it'll be ok. The ammonia never got above
normal levels.

Old 25-08-2004, 12:23 AM
George

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 11-07-2008 11:54 PM
Koi Fungus Beer Rock Ponds 3 18-11-2006 08:33 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds (alternative) 1 12-04-2003 01:20 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds 2 06-04-2003 11:56 AM