Old 21-11-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default New Pond

hello all!!!

We recently purchased a fish pond. we do not have any fish in it yet.
the question we have is for the the winter months do we just unplug the
filter or what do we do? We have a 12 inch waterfall and it is a rubber
liner. there isn't any fish or plant life yet. Thanks for your time
Gary

Old 21-11-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 21 Nov 2006 05:59:53 -0800, "misterdj13"
wrote:

hello all!!!

We recently purchased a fish pond. we do not have any fish in it yet.
the question we have is for the the winter months do we just unplug the
filter or what do we do? We have a 12 inch waterfall and it is a rubber
liner. there isn't any fish or plant life yet. Thanks for your time
Gary

Hi Gary,

Where are you located.... I'm wondering what your winters are like. Zone if
you know it. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-11-2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"misterdj13" wrote in message
ups.com...
hello all!!!

We recently purchased a fish pond. we do not have any fish in it yet.
the question we have is for the the winter months do we just unplug the
filter or what do we do? We have a 12 inch waterfall and it is a rubber
liner. there isn't any fish or plant life yet. Thanks for your time
Gary

==========================
I'm in zone 6, middle TN in the USA. I unplug my pumps when the water temps
are in the high 40s or low 50s. It's worked well for us since 1995. We do
have both koi and goldfish in the ponds and vats seen on my website (below).
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-11-2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

Hi Janj

we live in massachusetts . it get cold here i was wondering if i unplug
my filter will it freeze in the pump?

gary

Old 22-11-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds

misterdj13 wrote:

we live in massachusetts . it get cold here i was wondering if i unplug
my filter will it freeze in the pump?

Where's the pump? If it's a foot or more below the water surface, probably
not.
--
derek

Old 22-11-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.ponds

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"misterdj13" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Janj

we live in massachusetts . it get cold here i was wondering if i unplug
my filter will it freeze in the pump?

==============================
Freeze in the pump? Did you mean pond? We get some nasty cold here so I
remove the filters and hose the blocks and pads off and put them in an
outbuilding on the property. The pumps come in, get cleaned and are stored
there also. Only the big heavy pump in the 2000g pond is left where it is.
It's on the pond bottom so wont freeze and get damaged.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-11-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 22 Nov 2006 04:14:54 -0800, "misterdj13" wrote:

we live in massachusetts . it get cold here i was wondering if i unplug
my filter will it freeze in the pump?
gary

Assuming pump is in pond (see Derek's post), drain lines & filter if you
turn it off. Big worry about leaving it on is an ice dam on the waterfall
that redirects the water out of the pond. ~ jan