Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default My real name is Ron -from "george"

Hello again,
The first draft of the RFD should soon be available, and so I have
decided that I would partially "out" myself now. My full name and
email address will be in the RFD.

My real first name is Ron, and my ISP is localnet. I post through
Supernews and occassionally through Usenet-news. I am a disabled
former clergyman.

I first lurked in rec.ponds many years ago, perhaps 1998 or 99.
I posted only rarely because I felt that I didn't know very much about
ponds, and I didn't want to look foolish.
I did post a few times, using different names. Most of my posts
were about technical questions (pumps, wiring, aeration, etc.)

I was a steady, almost daily, lurker until just over year ago,
when I left because my tolerance level for the garbage being dumped
into the pond kept getting lower and lower.
I briefly returned last January, and discovered that nothing had
changed. I came back again briefly in early May, and again around the
beginning of September. but all three times I left after maybe a
half-hour because I refused to let the depressing state of this group
get me down.
My last visit was in late November, and this time I just got fed
up with the destruction wrought by a few disturbed posters on what was
once a wonderful, uncontroversial group. Without much prior thought,
I just popped out the question: "What about a moderated group.?"

Well, it struck a chord, and the project was on. I overtaxed
myself with work the first week, but fortunately those who
answered the call have continued to work very hard, and are almost
ready to submit the first draft of the RFD.

I never intended, nor wanted, to be a moderator. And I will not
be. I am an unnknown, and moderators must be known and trusted
through visibility and the passage of time. I meet neither of these
criteria.

I concealed my identity because my long experience with the
internet (going back to early 90's) told me that I would open myself
up to all possible kinds of attacks by trolls, and my health would not
do well with that.
I made myself known to the current volunteer moderators, to
Jayne, and to 2 other members of Big-8. I have also spoken to G and
J, and some others.

I have no intention of responding to any negative rebuttals to
this post. Either you believe me, or you don't. I will not feed
trolls. I will not discuss rational issues with those who cannot, or
choose not, to be rational. I will not be pulled in to your
machinations.

I want to publicly thank the persons who have volunteered to
serve as moderators. They have my full confidence and support, and
prayers. Their task, to be ethically unbiased and morally balanced,
in the midst of so much antagonism, criticism ridicule, and outright
spite, will surely be a test of their souls. And I am confident that
their integrity and conviction will succeed.

I also want to thank Jayne, who has offered so much hard work,
suggestions, and advice to the moderators. And on top of that, she
stood up in the public arena to defend the proceedures involved in
creating a new group, and to point out the lies and falsehoods that
have swarmed over this newsgroup in the past 2 weeks.
After all the garbage she had to endure from the critics of smm,
I am awed by the strength and vigor with which she continues to
support and defend that which is in the right.
I also wish to thank all of those who have been
_constructively_ involved in this project, regardless of whether we
agreed or disagreed on some issues. (I don't know if I have the ok to
name names, so I won't.)

I wanted to release this statement now, because in a few days, we
may all be heavily involved with discussion of the first draft of the
RFD.

For myself, I welcome genuine, constructive criticism from anyone
whose sole purpose is to help rebuild an atmosphere of civility,
trust, camaraderie and genuine community amongst those whose lives
are blessed by a love for small recreational garden ponds.
But to those whose purpose is to feed their own twisted
personalities by abuse, slander, ridicule, and personal attack, you
know that your days are numbered. In the end, that which is for the
good; that which is pure, and just and worthy _will_ triumph.

ron
Old 11-12-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
Hello again,
The first draft of the RFD should soon be available, and so I have
decided that I would partially "out" myself now. My full name and
email address will be in the RFD.

--------------- brevity snip.

Thank you for bringing us up to date. And yes, Jayne has been a real help
on this group.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.