Old 17-12-2006, 05:09 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Tank #2

Tank #2, 650g (give or take a few) drained down today. Water parameters the
same. There was more debris on the bottom which we expected since it's
closer to the woods and more leaves and twigs blow through the net. There
was also many small dead koi on the bottom and a unpleasant swampy odor. PP
was used to disinfect the tank before anything more was done, then the
debris was netted out with the dead fry. The water was greenish brown and
murky like Tank #1. There were large tangles of elodia and hornwart and 3
large water lilies removed from the bottom for cleaning. While #2 was
draining we noticed #1 was leaking. The liners I got on a trade are near
worthless so my husband took off to Home Depot for a regular pond liner.
The koi in #2 were larger but more were deformed. The deformity was mainly
in the head and gill area. Some had abnormally large eyes. None had sores.
All were thin but not emaciated. None had obvious parasites. With the
unexpected disruption due to the leaky liner, the clean water was pumped
into Tank #2 and the koi left in place. The liner in #2 was not pulled for
cleaning. Eight 3/4" long fry were brought into the house and housed in a
cycled 10g tank to observe up close. They were ravenous and are still
working over some Algae Wafers. They had flakes earlier. Several have
deformed gill covers. These are fry from the same parents as last years
spawn and the spawn before that.

Tank #2 is not a complete loss but those of salable size (for spring) are no
more than perhaps 100 to 125, if that. Tomorrow the leaky liner will be
overlaid with the new liner. If all goes well I can start culling them this
week and remove the worthless deformed fry, giving the healthy ones more
space.

Even though no parasites show on a scrape they'll be treated with either
Quick-Cure or PP when the culling is finished. As soon as it's warm enough
in spring to start feeding, they'll be put back on the feed used in previous
years which gave good growth and salable fry in one year.

Oh, the few Shubunkin fry mixed in with them were of average size and
weight.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-12-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

Yep, should have fed better food, and spent more time clenaing and
maintaining your mangey fish than playing on the internet carol
harrassing folks and spreading your lies.

YOu do not have a clue how to scrape so quit your dam lying CArol. Its
impossible to scope/scrape with a magnifying glass!
Ah still holding true to Gulley fashion I see and specializing in
mixed breeds!

-------