Old 23-12-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default The new 3.5+ acre pond is now full

And my order of Koi wil be here 2 days after Christmas.......There is
a pond god....but he does not visit this place thats for sure!

-------
Old 23-12-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

Tristan wrote:
And my order of Koi wil be here 2 days after Christmas.......There is
a pond god....but he does not visit this place thats for sure!

-------

Are you just planning on Koi for this "lake"? - I can't bring myself to
call it a pond at that size.....Have you got it all planted out? Or will
nature take it's course.....sounds amazing.....I would just love to have
a garden even approaching an acre let alone a pond of 3.5!!!!!!

Sounds like it will be amazing.....any chance of links to pics????

Gill
Old 24-12-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.ponds

3.5 acres! Any pics?

Koi will keep it pretty muddy. Any plans for a way to avoid the
digging making mud?

We have a 1 acre pond filling just now. Thought about koi, but decided
to go with bluegills and bass. Lets the kids fish.

Jim

Old 24-12-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
3.5 acres! Any pics?

Koi will keep it pretty muddy. Any plans for a way to avoid the
digging making mud?

We have a 1 acre pond filling just now. Thought about koi, but decided
to go with bluegills and bass. Lets the kids fish.

=======================
Where I live we can't keep koi or GF in small lakes or unprotected ponds
because of the herons and other predators. My neighbor tried fish in his
farm pond and would lose them all.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-12-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
3.5 acres of insect generating water. How neat!
--

================
Huge Mosquito Dunks to the rescue! :-)

Old 24-12-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
Are you just planning on Koi for this "lake"? - I can't bring myself to
call it a pond at that size.....Have you got it all planted out? Or will
nature take it's course.....sounds amazing.....I would just love to have a
garden even approaching an acre let alone a pond of 3.5!!!!!!

===================================
There are affordable rural lots of that size all over the USA. The further
from the big cities they are the more you'll find.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-12-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:40:19 -0600, Zëbulon wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
. ..
Are you just planning on Koi for this "lake"? - I can't bring myself to
call it a pond at that size.....Have you got it all planted out? Or will
nature take it's course.....sounds amazing.....I would just love to have a
garden even approaching an acre let alone a pond of 3.5!!!!!!

===================================
There are affordable rural lots of that size all over the USA. The further
from the big cities they are the more you'll find.

What do you call "affordable"?

--
Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.
Old 24-12-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.ponds

Needing lots of mosquito fish!

Jim

Old 24-12-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:
Needing lots of mosquito fish!

Mine didn't make it through the winter here in the San Fernando Valley. ;-(

~Semper Fi~
Old 24-12-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Are you just planning on Koi for this "lake"? - I can't bring myself to
call it a pond at that size.....Have you got it all planted out? Or will
nature take it's course.....sounds amazing.....I would just love to have
garden even approaching an acre let alone a pond of 3.5!!!!!!

===================================
There are affordable rural lots of that size all over the USA. The
further
from the big cities they are the more you'll find.

What do you call "affordable"?

=====================================
$5 to 10,000 an acre in a semi-rural to rural area.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-12-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
Needing lots of mosquito fish!

=======================
Rosy reds - 10 for $1.00.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-12-2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

Are rosy reds native whereever the pond is? Wouldn't want to introduce
them into the ecosystem. But then gambusia might not the natiuve
either.

Jim

Old 24-12-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are rosy reds native whereever the pond is? Wouldn't want to introduce
them into the ecosystem. But then gambusia might not the natiuve
either.

Gambies aren't native to most of north america, their native territories are
around the gulf of mexico. But the vector control districts don't have a
problem with introducing them to any body of water, even though in
hindsight, it might have not always been the wisest idea.

Out in northern california, they'll just dump a bucket full of them into the
flooded rice fields, especially after people started getting west nile.

-S

Old 24-12-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

Gambies aren't native to most of north america, their native territories are
around the gulf of mexico. But the vector control districts don't have a
problem with introducing them to any body of water, even though in
hindsight, it might have not always been the wisest idea.

Out in northern california, they'll just dump a bucket full of them into the
flooded rice fields, especially after people started getting west nile.

-S

It is too bad they don't research native frogs and put their tadpoles in,
granted they won't last the whole season, but the rest of the time
something like mosquito dunks, that they add in a much cheaper form, would
work. The problem with gambusia is they eat all frog spawn, native fish
eggs and fry... as I'm sure Rosie Reds do also. :-( ~ jan
---------------
~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 24-12-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are rosy reds native whereever the pond is? Wouldn't want to introduce
them into the ecosystem. But then gambusia might not the natiuve
either.
==========================
I have no idea but they live over for us in zone 6. I see minnows in the
rivers and lakes here but they may not be the same as the ones from the
Aquarium Store. They take more cold than they do heat in my experience.

There's no way they can be introduced to the ecosystem from our ponds. I
think that's something to consider with all non native fish including koi
and goldfish.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Well my pond is now full and it survived Ivan Roy Ponds 22 18-09-2004 11:28 AM
draining a 1 acre pond Phisherman Ponds 12 10-08-2004 02:38 PM
new pond full of snails and tadpoles Stephen M. Henning Ponds 8 14-07-2004 03:05 PM
.375 acre pond????? jixxxer Ponds 2 04-09-2003 04:12 PM
building 1 acre pond? James & Julie Fields Ponds (alternative) 1 07-05-2003 02:08 AM