Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Power Cycling

Has anyone experimented with power cycling their pumps? I wonder what kind
of effect having it on for an hour, off for an hour, etc. would have?
Certainly a bit less power used. Maybe more settling in the filter area (VF
in my case)? Same water quality? My thinking here is in regards to my VF. My
pond will be about 3000 gallons, and my VF about 500 gallons. I am thinking
of moving some water into the VF, pump off, let the veggies go to work on
"that water" for an hour or so, then pump in a new batch.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 16-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Nedra

BV, You looking for work er something? lol I think you
would be better off just buying a 525 gph pump that's set on
a shelf across the pond from the veggie filter - fed
directly to the veggie filter will work ... a 2 inch hose attached to the
pump and traversing the length of the pond up to the veggie
filter will be just great for the veggie filter. You are
right that the water does need "dwell time" in the veggie
filter but I think that turning the pump on and off every hour
is too work intensive.

Just my 2 cents.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 16-04-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
BV, You looking for work er something? lol I think you
would be better off just buying a 525 gph pump that's set on
a shelf across the pond from the veggie filter - fed
directly to the veggie filter will work ... a 2 inch hose attached to the
pump and traversing the length of the pond up to the veggie
filter will be just great for the veggie filter. You are
right that the water does need "dwell time" in the veggie
filter but I think that turning the pump on and off every hour
is too work intensive.

Just my 2 cents.

*laugh*

I was thinking of something along the lines of an automatic timer. Certainly
nothing manual.

BV.

Old 17-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Nedra

Okay ... if you insist!! LOL
Just checkin' on ya' ....

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
rthlink.net...

Old 28-04-2003, 06:44 AM
~ jan

BV, run the pump 24/7, besides the plants working on the nutrients there
are bacteria in the VF breaking down the nutrients for the plants, those
bacteria need O2 to work at their best. Shutting down the pump for an hour
will decrease your bacteria action and reproduction. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
BV, run the pump 24/7, besides the plants working on the nutrients there
are bacteria in the VF breaking down the nutrients for the plants, those
bacteria need O2 to work at their best. Shutting down the pump for an hour
will decrease your bacteria action and reproduction. ~ jan

Even if I have a bubbler in the VF?

BV.

Old 30-04-2003, 06:08 PM
~ jan

No to the bubbler due to what RTB said. A bubbler doesn't give enough
circulation in a long VF without flow. ) ~ jan

They also need the ammonia from the pond that is produced by the fish. That
is the food for the first of the two beneficial bacteria. They will produce
nitrite, which is the food for the second.
RichToyBox

Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Barbara2245

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
BV, You looking for work er something? lol I think you
would be better off just buying a 525 gph pump that's set on
a shelf across the pond from the veggie filter - fed
directly to the veggie filter will work ... a 2 inch hose attached to the
pump and traversing the length of the pond up to the veggie
filter will be just great for the veggie filter. You are
right that the water does need "dwell time" in the veggie
filter but I think that turning the pump on and off every hour
is too work intensive.

Just my 2 cents.

*laugh*

I was thinking of something along the lines of an automatic timer. Certainly
nothing manual.

Turning the pump on and off and on and off will burn it out mighty
fast. It probably will use more power also. Happy water gardening.

BV.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Barbara2245" wrote in message
om...
snip
Turning the pump on and off and on and off will burn it out mighty
fast. It probably will use more power also. Happy water gardening.

Ya think? Even if it was on say a 1 hour or 2 hour cycle?

BV.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

If you only want x gallons of water to go through the veggie filter, and
accomplishing that requires cycling the pump, you should really look into

smaller pump that can run 24/7.

Rich...I am just being my typical obsessive-compulsive-geek-over-analyzing
self...I figured some down time would help...and that shutting the pump down
periodically could save electricity and pump life...I was assuming the pump
was actually moving more water then I would need to in reality...I don't
have a need...just a bizarre curiosity...

BV.