Old 24-02-2007, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

Gill Passman wrote:
My understanding of UV usage in the marine aquatic side is that it is
used for prevention of parasites etc. Does the same theory apply to
Ponds as well with this UVC unit? Or is it just a water clarifier?

Just addressing this question to my understanding, mostly they are used as
a clarifier. They have to be of high wattage to kill parasites, and
considering the volume of water, not many people go there. Not to mention
we're talking outside where lots of parasites can enter the water at all
times. Thus it is more important to make sure water parameters are great
and fish have healthy immune systems.

I don't use UV.... if the plant to fish ratio is balanced it isn't needed.
Unfortunately most tend to hit a pond shop and go, "Oh pretty! I'll take
10!" And it isn't plants they're looking at. ;-) ~ jan
Old 24-02-2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

~ jan wrote:
Gill Passman wrote:

I don't use UV.... if the plant to fish ratio is balanced it isn't needed.
Unfortunately most tend to hit a pond shop and go, "Oh pretty! I'll take
10!" And it isn't plants they're looking at. ;-) ~ jan

So, do you routinely treat the water for parasites, with PP or an
off-the-shelf product? Or do you find it a sufficient safeguard to trust
on the health of the fish and the water parameters?

It is unlikely that I will keep making new fish additions (except any
they care to make for me - lol) but there is no way of preventing frogs,
newts etc from making the pond their home....now plants are a different
matter - he, he

Gill
Old 24-02-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:32:06 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

So, do you routinely treat the water for parasites, with PP or an
off-the-shelf product?

My drug of choice is Prazi in the spring & fall for flukes, Koizyme and
then salt. None of which affect the filter. I haven't needed to treat the
lily pond with goldfish at all... and that's where all the frogs are coming
and going. ~ jan
Old 25-02-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

I cover my pond with plastic in winter and I use a 500watt heater in 1600 gallon
pond so I can feed my fish a little bit every 4th day or so almost all winter. last
time was Jan. 5th. been too cold since then. My ponds are netted all year. I
havent had to treat my pond since 2000. Before the plastic and heater my fish
wouldnt eat for nearly 6 months, I think that is very hand on them. also, once it
warms up the temp stays even so there isnt so much up and down which also prevents
problems. Ingrid

wrote:

So, do you routinely treat the water for parasites, with PP or an
off-the-shelf product?

My drug of choice is Prazi in the spring & fall for flukes, Koizyme and
then salt. None of which affect the filter. I haven't needed to treat the
lily pond with goldfish at all... and that's where all the frogs are coming
and going. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 25-02-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

For what its worth in this reigon, as it really never freezes, and if
it did the ice would be gone by 9am once sun is up , the folks in the
high rent district use those solar panels of what looks like bubble
wrap...(blueish green with silver mylar reflective area) thats used to
heat up swimming pools etc by solar power. The local swimming pool
supply stores here sell it in large rolls that they can piece to
gether to make a cover essentially in the shape and size of your
swimming pool, or inthe case of a pond the shape and size of your
pond. I had a bout a 3 x 3 foot piece of it and will say it does
absorb heat and direct it into the water, and it does make a
difference.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:41:58 GMT, ~ jan
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:20:49 GMT, wrote:

I cover my pond with plastic in winter and I use a 500watt heater in 1600 gallon
pond so I can feed my fish a little bit every 4th day or so almost all winter. last
time was Jan. 5th. been too cold since then. My ponds are netted all year. I
havent had to treat my pond since 2000. Before the plastic and heater my fish
wouldnt eat for nearly 6 months, I think that is very hand on them. also, once it
warms up the temp stays even so there isnt so much up and down which also prevents
problems. Ingrid

One of our members also covers with plastic, I think he used an 800 watt,
for 4,000 gallons and managed to keep it around 50F (Zone 7), so he's been
feeding all winter. His fish were large last fall, can't wait to see this
summer the difference. I know that is his goal, to grow some big ones. :-)

Spring is coming, just got an E to get my order of Manda Fu requested. One
of our members orders them all in so we save on shipping. :-) ~ jan

-------