Old 18-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Ponder_Eh

Default Ice Out 2003

I always come back to read this Newsgroup in the Spring, when the Ice on
The Pond starts to melt. Winter seems to last so long up here in Canada
(actually it not only seems to last a long time it DOES last a long time)
that it is nice to read about things that I will be doing in another month
or so. And click on the URLs and look at all those pictures of ponds that
have Water in them instead of Ice like mine has.

This year I took a few pictures of The Pond as the Ice was melting and
then... the weather changed... not for the Better. So I decided to add a
page to my website and Document 'Ice Out 2003'. My wife says I have more
pictures of The Pond in the Winter than I do of The Pond in the Summer so I
figured pictures of The Pond in the Spring would be a nice change.

Spring ain't quite here yet... but I'm watching for it... and posting
pictures regularly on the 'Ice Out 2003' page of my Website at
http://ponder_eh.tripod.com/

Keep Warm, and Dry.
-Ponder_eh?-

Old 18-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Pinkpggy

Great pictures!!!
Old 19-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Nedra

You have a lovely pond! I know you enjoy it...
when the ice is gone.
The kitties add a very nice touch.

Where in Canada do you live? I have friends scattered about
from Ontario to Vancouver.

Nedra in Missouri
Zone 6

Old 20-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Pfish Pfryer

Ontario is a nice place to have friends - That's where I live actually. In
Thunder Bay (180 miles northeast of Duluth MN) on the western shore of Lake
Superior. Lake Superior froze over Completely this year - a very rare
occurrence.

Vancouver is a nice place too - My father retired there but, it's so mild
that they don't have a real Winter. If they get Snow it melts in a day...
Hmmmm... Maybe I should retire there Too!

The Kitties in the pictures aren't around anymore - The Orange and white
one belonged to my daughter but unfortunately it died. The Black and grey
one belongs to my Son and he 'took' it with him after he got married and
moved out (I don't expect either of them to move Back - visiting once in
awhile is OK though). There is one cat that frequents our yard because
'someone' keeps feeding him Treats every time he appears at the kitchen
window.

Haven't seen that Cat since after the Snowstorm though because it's been
raining - non stop - melting the Snow and Ice - Filling The Pond - I'm not
complaining. It's nice and warm and dry in here... so I have another picture
to add to the 'Ice Out 2003' page of my Website at
http://ponder_eh.tripod.com/. Maybe I'll get the fish back in the pond by
the end of this month... and maybe not.

Keep Warm, and Dry.
-Ponder_Eh?-

rthlink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Ponder_Eh?

Ooopss - I know it says Pfish Pfryer in the 'From' column but that is
because I was using a different program to write that message on. I promise
that I Do Not actually Pfry Pfish from the Pfish Pond.

Keep Warm, and Dry.
-Ponder_Eh?- Pfor sure!

Old 22-04-2003, 05:20 PM
~ jan

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:11:14 -0400, "Ponder_Eh"
wrote:

Spring ain't quite here yet... but I'm watching for it... and posting
pictures regularly on the 'Ice Out 2003' page of my Website at
http://ponder_eh.tripod.com/

I couldn't get this URL to work for me, is it still working for others?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 22-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

Spring ain't quite here yet... but I'm watching for it... and posting
pictures regularly on the 'Ice Out 2003' page of my Website at
http://ponder_eh.tripod.com/

I couldn't get this URL to work for me, is it still working for others?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

It worked for me.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Ponder_Eh?

Sorry you couldn't get that Website to work... You might want to try
http://community.webshots.com/user/ponder_eh I have pictures of The Pond
there but not the 'Ice Out 2003' series.

I'm going to transfer the Fish from the aquariums to The Pond this weekend
come Hell or... another Snowstorm. The Pond ices over every night, but an
airstone can keep a hole open. It is mild enough during the day that the ice
melts by noon. The first Spring I did a complete water change in the Spring,
last year a partial change. This year we had so much rain that The Pond has
already been Flushed. I'm just netting as much junk out of the Pond as I
can... tipping over plant pots... creating conditions where the Goldfish can
Hide by just suspending about one foot below the surface.

I've always just split the fish up amongst three, 5 gallons pails. Set them
outside covered over to keep them in the dark about what was going to happen
to them. Later in the morning when they had cooled down some I would set the
pails in The Pond until the temperatures were the same in both environments,
then - just Slide them in. Never lost a fish yet, but they must suffer one
heck of a shock in the sudden change of water conditions? Maybe I should be
using airstones in the buckets.

Well... a couple of Spam bots found my e-mail address in this Newsgroup -
It is encrypted on my Web Pages - So from now on you'll have to cut the
GRASS before you e-mail me, Eh?

-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----