Old 19-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Default Water Lilies for Postage

OK folks,

It looks like I will have to do it again this year. I gave a pond plant
seminar just recently and pulled one of my lily baskets out with a plant in
it and took it out of the pot to use for demonstration and it was over a
foot long. I divided 12 plants off of it and gave away eight.

Last year I tried using even smaller divisions than I had used in the past
in hopes that they would grow slower, but it looks like they still grew like
crazy.

Last year I got rid of 90+ plants last year for postage. The lilies are
cream, white, pink and mauve. I was planning on repotting this year anyway
using pea gravel and it looks like I will have a bunch to ship out to any
body that wants any. I will really only be able to know the white one the
others are too close in appearance to figure out which is which so it is pot
luck, but considering that it is for Priority Mail postage and handling they
are almost free for what you are getting.

I sent 2 dozen to someone last year.

Everyone that has remained in contact has always been pleased with the
plants. So if you need any please send me how many you want and where you
are at (zip code), so I can tell what the postage and handling is going to
be for sending them to your address.

So if any one wants any please contact me privately. You can use any of the
addys listed below, preferably my home addy.

Happy Ponding Season.

God Bless and Keep You and Yours,
Regards from Pawnee, OK, USA, Zone 7a, and Hope you have a "Great Day,"
Tom La Bron
LTA Oklahoma State University
Office E-mail:
Home E-mail:

Website URL:
http://www.geocities.com/norbal.geo

Old 22-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Mike Naime

Yes You did! They where greatly appreciated!!! We are trying to pawn off
lilly divisions to folks in the KC area now. :-)

Seriously, how do you divide up the lilly roots? Do you just measure off an
inch or two and make sure that you have greenery and roots?

Our Colorado had two "Horns" growing out of the pot that where about a foot
long each. I thought that we woudl get 4 divisions off of this, but it
looks like we could get more from what you are describing. This lilly gave
us 5 blooms a day at the end of the season. Other lillies where also
growing out of the pots as well when I pulled them out of the bottom of the
pond 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again Tom

Mike and Elizabeth Naime

Old 26-04-2003, 04:20 PM
adavisus

Seriously, how do you divide up the lilly roots? Do you just measure off an
inch or two and make sure that you have greenery and roots?

repotting water lilies....

First, lift the basket to where you can see clearly how the plant has
developed.

Along the rhisome will probably be numbers of crowns starting to side
branch, the well developed ones can be snapped or cut off where they
have formed a good set of roots, these are probably the best crowns to
use for trades and will settle on a new position best... young
undamaged side crowns transplant best.

When all the best side crowns are picked off, you have a number of
large rhisomes with a main crown, and immature side crowns left... cut
the main crown off say 6" back from the crown, taking care to not
damage the 'feeder' roots on the crown. If the feeder roots stay
intact the crown will transfer well.

Feeder roots, the straight unbranched roots found developing at the
crown, unlike the 'tether' roots which are much longer and many
branched, the tether roots can be trimmed off, ....its the feeder
roots that do most of the work on a water lily.... kept intact a
waterlily can go to another pond and hardly notice it has been moved.
This is one of the big failings of many 'box' waterlilies, they have
lost their feeder roots...

To improve the chances of a rhisome thriving, you can seal the cuts
that are caused on the rhisome by blasting the open rhisome flesh with
a blow torch, cauterising, sealing the exposed cells... this will seal
the rhisome from rotting off... If it ends up in a pond infected with
water lily crown rot, at least it stands some chance to thrive and
strengthen up before the dreaded crown rot gets going on it

You can end up with a number of 'parts' when dividing water lilies....

1) good crowns and side crowns which can go for trades and potting to
new positions.
Make sure you send me one or two of these pieces at this stage, lol
.....for erm, quality testing [Smile]

2) old rhisomes which when lifted lost some roots are spare but do
have immature side crowns can be floated in a 'bin' position to give
the rhisome a chance to develop side crowns in the future, old
rhisomes when floated are weighted down in shallow water can be a very
useful source of young crowns, for years, they can be easily kept
where bleach and fungicides can be applied occasionally to eliminate
disease... in a small area you can create a steady stream of side
crowns to start on small pots for growing ont hat way...

The big crowns need all their mature foliage trimmed off, the tether
roots are best trimmed too as they will only rot off, so you are left
with the crown, immature new leaves, and a good set of feeder roots
only. The cut can be cauterised, I tend to rub sulphur over the cut
and burn and seal that usually.

To pot up a good big crown, scoop a cavity for the feeder roots and
make sure they aren't exposed to fish grazing. A soil of a heavy loam
and clay mix is fine, soft and rich, easy for feeder roots to
penetrate (gravel, stone and sand is not going to help the feeder
roots)

Add no fertilisers or manure to the mix as that's likely to burn the
fragile feeder roots...

Press the rhisome to the soil surface only, maybe weigh it down with
some stones to hold it down, make sure light can get to the rhisome...
Place 2" stones across the soil surface so fish cant pester the soil
in the lily tub. Place the rhisome so it has the maximum space to
travel across the lily tub before it ambles into open water.... once a
good set of roots are established on a pot, a lily can cope quite well
growing off into open water later, very convenient to crop, when they
grow out of the pot...

A water lily grown and cropped like that is going to be in a vastly
better condition than anything going cheap in a box from a retailer.

Most serious water lily growers have gone further along the route of
eliminating crown rot on their crowns and take their own measures to
treat lifted crowns, however the materials involved are quite savage
and best used by trained folk only

Regards, Andy

http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Wow! Now I know more than I ever thought there was to know about the
preparation of lillies! Thanks.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"adavisus" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Lilies - Lilies-Red_5684.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 29-06-2009 11:33 AM
Lilies: - Lilies-Stargazer-CU.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 2 26-12-2008 10:44 PM
Lilies for postage ranchu Ponds 7 25-04-2006 03:39 PM
PEACE LILIES WITH NO LILIES MARTY United Kingdom 1 08-12-2005 03:09 PM
Water Hyacinth for postage joe Ponds 13 12-05-2004 05:09 PM