Old 19-04-2003, 12:44 PM
James Cook

Default Do your levels drop in the spring?

I've only got a small nature pond (surface area around 90 sq ft - deep
section around 3 1/2 foot), no moving water, no mechanical filtration. I'm
in the south east of the UK and we've had a fairly dry 8 weeks, we've had a
hot few days (well, hot for here in April !) around 20-25 Celsius for the
last 3 days, its cooled off a bit today (12 degrees) and its gotten fairly
breezy overnight and today. I have noticed that the level has dropped about
10mm in the last 24 hrs. Would you consider this normal ? I do have lots of
grasses etc. growing on and invading the fringes of the pond if that makes
any difference.

Old 19-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Harry Rogers

Default Water loss

I live in the same region as you and our pond has also lost a lot of water. Probably around 20mm over the same period as yours. I'm not an expert on ponds, but this happens quite a lot to ours during the year. We just top it up from the tap and the fish survive OK.

The pond is about twic the size of yours and has a lot of plants in it as well as about 35 fish (mainly goldfish).
Old 19-04-2003, 06:21 PM
jon

Both my ponds have done the same thing largest one is down 3/4 inch .

Jon

South Yorkshire

"James Cook"
inthisbityoushouldtypemynameseparatedbyadotwitha1 followingmysurname@btinter

Old 20-04-2003, 12:20 PM
David W.E. Roberts

We are is Suffolk and the levels always drop in the spring and summer.
We have a couple of water butts we use to top the pond up, and only use tap
water in major drought times.
Evapouration will always reduce water levels, especially if it is sunny and
breezy.
When levels are low I have been known to rush out in a downpour to start
siphoning water into the pond so that the new water running off the roof
into the water butts doesn't get lost :-)

Old 20-04-2003, 04:44 PM
James Cook

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
We are is Suffolk and the levels always drop in the spring and summer.
We have a couple of water butts we use to top the pond up, and only use

tap
water in major drought times.
Evapouration will always reduce water levels, especially if it is sunny

and
breezy.
When levels are low I have been known to rush out in a downpour to start
siphoning water into the pond so that the new water running off the roof
into the water butts doesn't get lost :-)

Thanks for the responses guys (another 10mm or so lost in the 24 hrs - but
no panicking now). Interesting point about the rainwater though - I'm not
concerned about chlorine in tap water (as an aquarium owner I realise that
the concentrations going into my pond if I'm topping up will be negligible).
I did read once though that the real hazard of tap water is that it is good
food for algae - does anyone have any scientific proof for this ?

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:33:26 +0000 (UTC), "James Cook" wrote:

I did read once though that the real hazard of tap water is that it is good
food for algae - does anyone have any scientific proof for this ?

Myth, tap water that is good enough for human consumption has less
nutrients in it than pond water. I believe Norm Meck talks about such in
one of his articles at:
http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html
Perhaps the "Green Water" one or Water Change Outs.

If it appears one is getting an algae bloom after a water change out, it is
because they are changing out too much at one time. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a