Old 25-03-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default koi pond

i recently did a complete water change in my outdoor koi pond due to
algae take over and all koi have died within 24 hours, why? and what
can i do to get it ready for more fish to be stable?

Old 25-03-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message
oups.com...
i recently did a complete water change in my outdoor koi pond due to
algae take over and all koi have died within 24 hours, why? and what
can i do to get it ready for more fish to be stable?

==============================
Hi! Please move to rec.ponds.moderated as this group has been abandoned due
to trolls.

A complete water change was too much of a "shock" if the water temperature,
hardness and PH varied greatly. You need to acclimate them when doing such
a major water change. I use 150g kiddy pools from Wal*Mart to do that when
we drain down and clean our ponds. Over an 8 to 10 hour period (it varies)
I add more and more of the "new" water.... then return them to the clean
pond.

Did you add enough dechlorinaror to the water before returning them?
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 25-03-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
[snip]
==============================
Hi! Please move to rec.ponds.moderated as this group has been
abandoned due to trolls.

[snip]

That statement is inflammatory. People still
post to rec.ponds on topic, and there are still
a few reasonable discussions. Telling
people rec.ponds has been abandoned is
a flat-out lie. If you hate it so much here,
since you now have another place to go, why
not go there and leave rec.ponds alone?

I will continue to read and post to both
newsgroups, and avoiding (not responding
to) 99.99999999% of the troll bs, but I'm
getting tired of you trying to frighten people
off rec.ponds. I'm absolutely supportive of
rec.ponds.moderated, but I have no problem
with both newsgroups existing.

NOR SHOULD YOU.

If you want to provide the *information* that
there is a moderated alternative, fine, but
there are better and considerably less
offensive and controversial ways to do it
than the way you're doing it.

And that's my final word on this stupid
subject.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 25-03-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:11:45 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
[snip]
==============================
[...]

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Old 25-03-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
[snip]
==============================
Hi! Please move to rec.ponds.moderated as this group has been abandoned
due to trolls.

[snip]

That statement is inflammatory.

Only to the trolls Gail. This group will always be trolled by the two
trolls with a "mission." New posters wont know what's going on and will
move on. When I go to a new group and see all the trolling they see here, I
don't even bother to post... I move on. Is that what you want them to do?
They may not know a moderated group exists.

People still
post to rec.ponds on topic, and there are still
a few reasonable discussions. Telling
people rec.ponds has been abandoned is
a flat-out lie.

Thank you for the INFLAMMATORY false accusation. Did it ever occur to you
my NSP isn't picking up all the on-topic messages you're seeing?

If you hate it so much here,

What makes you think I hate it here? Why would I hate it here? I'm trying
to save others the harassment and slander I've been enduring now for 2
years.... including from YOU today.

since you now have another place to go, why
not go there and leave rec.ponds alone?

I can ask you the same thing.

I will continue to read and post to both
newsgroups, and avoiding (not responding
to) 99.99999999% of the troll bs, but I'm
getting tired of you trying to frighten people
off rec.ponds.

And I'm getting tired of seeing people like myself, Tara, Wayne, and all the
others being slandered, belittled, offended and attacked for no other reason
than they post on these groups.

I'm absolutely supportive of
rec.ponds.moderated, but I have no problem
with both newsgroups existing.
NOR SHOULD YOU.

Now what gave you the idea I want rec.ponds removed? I just want people to
know they can ask their questions in a SAFE place where attacks like some of
us have endured for 2 years will not occur.

If you want to provide the *information* that
there is a moderated alternative, fine, but
there are better and considerably less
offensive and controversial ways to do it
than the way you're doing it.

Less offensive? GIMMIE A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your calling me a liar was
not only INFLAMMATORY but very OFFENSIVE and you don't seen concerned how
you come across... why is that?

And that's my final word on this stupid
subject.

Good.. then I wont have to endure more offensive posts from YOU!

Old 25-03-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Hi Gail, your e-mail w/o the NOSPAM bounces. Would you e-mail me at:
jjspond06 (at) jjspond.us ? Tx. ~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Old 26-03-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

Bummer Gail, even hitting reply it bounced back. :-( It seems as if I'm
being blocked or something. I'll have to have my geeks look at it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Old 27-03-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mar 25, 9:17 am, wrote:
i recently did a complete water change in my outdoorkoiponddue to
algae take over and allkoihave died within 24 hours, why? and what
can i do to get it ready for more fish to be stable?

there can be many reasons why this happens. new water can bring in
bacteria and your fish were simply not ready for it. or the water may
have had chemicals in them as well in which case your fish could have
died from toxicity. in any case controling algea can be acomplished
in many other ways besides emptying a pond. for starters feeding your
fish less will inhibit algea growth not to mention your fish will be
hungrier and eat the algea. if your algea problem is green water
clarity then a UV filter will take care of that problem.

Pete
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 28-03-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

if you have city water did you use dechlor to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine?

if you have a well, was the temperature significantly colder than the pond water?

you dont "fix" algae with water changes. you need a very good filter system, maybe a
UV on there. you dont say how big your pond is but there should be 100 gallons per
koi and a 500 gallon pond minimum. a veggie filter works really well to clean the
water. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
Ingrid

wrote:

i recently did a complete water change in my outdoor koi pond due to
algae take over and all koi have died within 24 hours, why? and what
can i do to get it ready for more fish to be stable?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan