Old 20-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Question Water feature pump tripping ELCB

Hi
I recently purchased a water feature from B&Q and when the installation was complete it was noted that when the pump was switched off it tripped the ELCB on the consumer unit
I understand that the amount of inductance generated by the motor causes a spike when the unit is switched off and this is the cause of the ELCB tripping. Further research has revealed that a suppression or "Snubber" circuit which is comprised of a resistor and capacitor in series will eliminate this type of problem.
Has anyone else experienced this type of problem and are these type of "Snubber" circuits available for purchase?
Old 20-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymcg View Post
Hi
I recently purchased a water feature from B&Q and when the installation was complete it was noted that when the pump was switched off it tripped the ELCB on the consumer unit
I understand that the amount of inductance generated by the motor causes a spike when the unit is switched off and this is the cause of the ELCB tripping. Further research has revealed that a suppression or "Snubber" circuit which is comprised of a resistor and capacitor in series will eliminate this type of problem.
Has anyone else experienced this type of problem and are these type of "Snubber" circuits available for purchase?
Regarding your elcb tripping the good news is it seems to be working but as an electrician there is not always a straitforward answer to seemingly simple "Quirks" of electricity Firstly if the switch you are using to switch it off should be a double pole switch once switched off ther should be a permanant dissconection between the pump and the elcb controling that circuit hence any assumed spike from the motor has no where to go except to earth and since it should be double insulated as a pond pump therefore my guess is that there is a fault with either the switch arrangement or the pump insulation
Since b&q operate one of the best returns policies I know of I would consult a friendly electrician who can meter the windings of the pump and advise on any switching changes you may need...You don't say if you have a Split load Consumer unit or not As far as the inductance is concerned once dissconected since no current is flowing in the motor there should be no inductance unless the motor has a permanant magnet. don't faff about with snubbers and such as you would have to double insulate them to make them safe Just change the motor at B&Q and If the Replacement does the same Get your money back.
Old 20-07-2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Water feature pump tripping ELCB

when the pump was switched
off it tripped the ELCB on the consumer unit

Take it back to the supplier.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem and are these type of
"Snubber" circuits available for purchase?

Don't mess about, take it back, get your money back.

Al.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Question

Hi
Thanks for your reply and my apologies for not replying sooner I have returned from holiday.
Unfortunately it is not as simple to return the water feature as it is built into a raised focal point and slabbed. The cable has been properly jointed with a resin filled armoured joint box(completed in dry condtions)and would have to be cut in order to rejoint.
Due to the construction of the house the only feasible method was to spur a feed from a socket into an IP junction box and using a simple 3-way light switch to switch the lights (2circuits) and water feature. I am not convinced that the pump is faulty and this cannot be an isolated case.
Any additional advice you can provide would be most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden-helper View Post
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds

--
tommymcg- Hide quoted text -

Hi Tommy, Did you find your problem?

Old 21-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Red face

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I have contacted B and Q and they passed on the manufacturers details Heissner Ltd Coventry.
A very helpful chap informend me that the company had not supplied a 240volt water feature pump to B and Q for 4 years, this item has been moved around various branches prior to me purchasing it.
I again contacted B and Q and they have agreed to supply a low voltage pump complete with an IP rated transformer plus a small amount of compensation.
Hope fully this will be a sucess and it will be happy days in the garden

Regards

Tommy

Solar pump for water feature Jim[_22_] United Kingdom 4 07-12-2011 01:12 PM
Pump advice re deck water feature [email protected] Ponds 1 24-06-2005 10:16 PM
GFI is tripping--- Joan Ponds 28 15-07-2004 05:03 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 15 27-02-2004 05:37 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 0 24-02-2004 05:29 PM