Old 24-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Jay Adair

Default MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace?

After 2 years of perfect operation, my Magdrive pump just started tripping
the GFI after 20 seconds of operation. Resetting the GFI and plugging the
pump back in only gets another 20 seconds....

The intake opening of the pump is clear, but I haven't opened the case to
check the impeller for blockage yet. Is this about normal life....time to
replace the pump if impeller is clear?

Thanks for any input,

Jay

Old 24-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Jay Adair

It still seems to work fine. Without the pump plugged in, other items
plugged into this circuit work properly....
Thanks,

Jay

Old 24-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Charles

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:00:52 -0600, "Jay Adair"
wrote:

After 2 years of perfect operation, my Magdrive pump just started tripping
the GFI after 20 seconds of operation. Resetting the GFI and plugging the
pump back in only gets another 20 seconds....

The intake opening of the pump is clear, but I haven't opened the case to
check the impeller for blockage yet. Is this about normal life....time to
replace the pump if impeller is clear?

Thanks for any input,

Jay

When my pump went it was the body of the pump, not the impeller.
--

- Charles
-
Old 24-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Charles

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:31:56 -0600, "Jay Adair"
wrote:

(Mag Drive 2400 gph pump, 600 gallon pond, 50 gallon filter, 7 feet of
lift....approx. turn-over once / hour)

Well, I opened it and pulled out the impeller....the surface of the impeller
has lost some of the coating and the bits of the coating seem to have gotten
between the impeller and the surrounding magnets and grooved the remaining
surface of the impeller....in short, it appears shot......

.....so......spend $30 for a replacement impeller for what turns out to be a
3 year old pump, or spring for $145 for a new pump.....

Anybody done the impeller swap? Longetivity of repair?

"Jay Adair" wrote in message
After 2 years of perfect operation, my Magdrive pump just started tripping
the GFI after 20 seconds of operation. Resetting the GFI and plugging the
pump back in only gets another 20 seconds....

The intake opening of the pump is clear, but I haven't opened the case to
check the impeller for blockage yet. Is this about normal life....time to
replace the pump if impeller is clear?

Thanks for any input,

Jay

Plug it in without the impeller. If it still trips, then a new
impeller will do no good, except to be a spare.

--

- Charles
-

Old 25-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Jay Adair

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
"Jay Adair" wrote:
(Mag Drive 2400 gph pump, 600 gallon pond, 50 gallon filter, 7 feet of
lift....approx. turn-over once / hour)

Well, I opened it and pulled out the impeller....the surface of the

impeller
has lost some of the coating and the bits of the coating seem to have

gotten
between the impeller and the surrounding magnets and grooved the

remaining
surface of the impeller....in short, it appears shot......

.....so......spend $30 for a replacement impeller for what turns out to

be a
3 year old pump, or spring for $145 for a new pump.....

Anybody done the impeller swap? Longetivity of repair?

Without answering your question, I can't see how impeller damage is

causing the
GFCI to trip -- you should be able to run the motor in any situation from

full
stall to no load without tripping the GFCI. If the outlet is OK, then
something in the pump is toast. Have you checked the cord? Assuming

this is
a true Mag pump, those guys are epoxy sealed -- it'd take some work to get
anything into the pump to the point you're getting a significant leakage

ground.

I think after seeing the damage to the impeller (and some collateral damage
to the inside of the impeller housing) I am going to get a new pump and skip
the repair process.

Thanks to all.....

Jay

Old 27-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Jay Adair

"Jay Adair" wrote in message
After 2 years of perfect operation, my Magdrive pump just started tripping
the GFI after 20 seconds of operation. Resetting the GFI and plugging the
pump back in only gets another 20 seconds....

The intake opening of the pump is clear, but I haven't opened the case to
check the impeller for blockage yet. Is this about normal life....time to
replace the pump if impeller is clear?

Thanks for any input,

Jay

Replacing Another GFI Today JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 2 06-05-2011 09:59 PM
RCD Tripping Peter[_9_] Ponds (moderated) 3 27-03-2011 12:55 PM
Water feature pump tripping ELCB tommymcg Ponds 5 21-08-2007 01:14 PM
GFI is tripping--- Joan Ponds 28 15-07-2004 05:03 AM
MagDrive pump is tripping GFI....time to replace? Jay Adair Ponds 0 24-02-2004 05:29 PM