Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Joan

Default GFI is tripping---

Hi;

I have both of my pumps plugged into a GFI outlet. I know that I should
have run 2 separate lines so that if one trips, the other will still be
pumping, but I learned this too late. In the last month the GFI has been
tripped twice. I go to the GFI switch in my garage that controls these,
flip the switch, and the pumps come back on. What could be the problem?
Fortunately, I have been home both times that this has happened.

Thanks-----

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Hank

Try turning off the power to the outlets and cleaning the plugs and
receptacle. Sometimes moisture can build up in dirt (usually spider
webs) and cause a slight leak of power to ground tripping the GFI. If
this does not work you may have a problem with one of the pumps, the
outlet or the GFI circuit breaker itself. Good luck Hank

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 04-07-2004, 04:04 PM
NauticalWheeler

I had that happen a couple of years ago. After checking the cord we found a
'small' area that had been chewed on by some little critter. The area was
small but, caused moisture problems therefore tripping the GFI.

Lisa

Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
REBEL JOE

Mine did that at first. A little duck tape over the top stoped it.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

God himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead. So why
should you?

Old 07-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Joan" wrote in message ...
Hi;

I have both of my pumps plugged into a GFI outlet. I know that I should
have run 2 separate lines so that if one trips, the other will still be
pumping, but I learned this too late. In the last month the GFI has been
tripped twice. I go to the GFI switch in my garage that controls these,
flip the switch, and the pumps come back on. What could be the problem?
Fortunately, I have been home both times that this has happened.

I had an electrician out to the house for some work, and asked him to give
me an estimate on running a line and a GFI to the pond. He suggested that
the pumps are prone to tripping GFI's and that they typically recommend no
GFI for ponds, as the pumps are designed to handle this.

He sounded like he made sense, but it seems contrary to what I have been
told before.

BV.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Gale Pearce

This is a joke ................. right????????????? - if not, I'd ask to see
his electrician certificate
Gale :~)

Old 08-07-2004, 12:05 AM
how

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
I had an electrician out to the house for some work, and asked him to give
me an estimate on running a line and a GFI to the pond. He suggested that
the pumps are prone to tripping GFI's and that they typically recommend
no GFI for ponds, as the pumps are designed to handle this.
He sounded like he made sense, but it seems contrary to what I have been
told before.
BV.

Hi,
This guy is not an electrician and code calls for a GFCI anywhere there is
water and electricity. http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_code_basics_3/
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 08-07-2004, 04:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I think you better find another electrician and have that one's work
reinspected.... did he by chance do the work for you without getting a
permit? ~ jan

Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Benign Vanilla"
writes:

He suggested that
the pumps are prone to tripping GFI's and that they typically recommend no
GFI for ponds, as the pumps are designed to handle this.

my gfci rarely trips unless (as just happened) the bucket covering the plugs
has a crack in it or isn't on properly.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
This is a joke ................. right????????????? - if not, I'd ask to

see
his electrician certificate

snip

Dead on serious.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
I think you better find another electrician and have that one's work
reinspected.... did he by chance do the work for you without getting a
permit? ~ jan

In his defense, this guy was just out to do the estimate for labor for the
company, so he may have just misspoke. He won't be doing the work. Either
way, I told him I am not worried about the circuit tripping occasionally, so
I want the outlet to be a GFI. I am thinking he was just confused, because
the main reason he was here was to an estimate for a pool, and he said he'd
put a GFI for my second outlet near the pool for the lights. So he gets the
GFI concept.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Mark Bannister

Disclaimer: I'm no electrician.
Also in his defense MANY submersible pumps leak far too much voltage to
use a GFI. Older ones in particular are bad. There are many devices
that you cannot put on a GFI because they leak voltage (there is a
reason you don't install whole house GFI). Pumps that work fine at fist
may start tripping a GFI as they age. Typically you wouldn't want your
pump to turn off on you on a whim. But you also don't want to be fried
when it really fails.
Reminds me of the brilliant plumber who installed a sump pump in our
crawl space (before we bought the house). He dutifully put in a GFI,
but to reach it you had to crawl on your belly for 50 feet under the
house. Since he also used a cheap pump it tripped the GFI continually.
Needless to say I was not amused to have to crawl through the dark and
wet every time it rained.
Mark B.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mark Bannister" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Good point. I agree, which is why I am having the GFI placed out at the
pond, where it is easily accessible.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Hal

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:04:44 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

He suggested that
the pumps are prone to tripping GFI's and that they typically recommend no
GFI for ponds, as the pumps are designed to handle this.

He sounded like he made sense, but it seems contrary to what I have been
told before.

Haw! Haw! The smartest and bravest man I ever met was a blind man who
did his own electrical work and woodwork. He insisted you only need
two wires to run 110v so long as everything works right. He's right
too, but I'm not getting into a pond without a GFI! I believe if it
can happen, it probably will happen to me.

Regards,

Hal
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Tony Rivas

That is common. I just sat through a pond building seminar at the local
Aquarium Adventure storegiven by their resident expert pond builders. They
both said not to use a GFI on the submersible pond pumps as those pumps give
alot of false trips. These guys build some $10,000 ponds , so they are not
just trying to save money.