Old 22-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Hardy Lilly question

Sorry, this is kind of lilly 101 question...

I bought one for my 400 gallon pond. It sits center in a 4" square
basket, wired to a cinder block (about 1" below surface).

It is in the basket from the garden store; I have not transplanted it.

It seems to be growing lots of shoots, but it does get some turbulance
from the waterfall.

My questions are this. Should I lower it (the stalks are around 8" to
the leaves). Should I get another (I thought one would be more than
enough?) Should I transplant it (the store said no, container size did
not matter).

Anything else I am forgetting? I do have a couple of Koi...

Carl

You can see the setup at

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 AM
jammer

You have a couple of koi in a 400 gallon pond?

I was recently told lillies like wider than tall pots, like 5 inches
tall and 10 inches wide. There is contraversy as to what medium to
plant them in, but i just transplanted mine into the above mentioned
sized pot with clay dirt in the bottom and kitty litter on top, and
the plant is up to 7 leaves from 3 in a week? Week and a half? They
also like to be off center. And they like between 18 and 24 inches of
water at least above the pot. I sunk mine after transplanting and it
is HAP PY!

And that is what this porg learned in this newgroup last week

Old 22-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Jerrispond

How deep it goes depends on the type lily it is....I would definately put it in
a larger pot.....Get it AWAY from the waterfall....lilies like still water.
Depending on the kind of lily ...a medium sized one is more than enough for a
400 gallon pond, since they need to be away from the waterfall. Jerri

Old 22-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Above info all good regarding the lilies. But remember: you're already
overstocked. The more big plant baskets you put in, the less water area you
have for the fish. And lilies *really* don't like water movement.

Lee

Old 24-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Gary

I bought a hardy lily several years ago and have divided it several times.
My experience has been that they don't even care if they have a pot to grow
in. Mine covers the whole pond (6 ft diameter round pond about 2 ft deep)
every summer and I keep hacking pieces of the plant off and giving them to
friends. It blooms well all summer with a couple of fertilizer tabs in the
main pot every month or so. I get over 100 blooms over the summer from a
single plant. I never thought water lilies would be so tough!
Gary

Old 26-04-2003, 04:08 PM
adavisus

It seems to be growing lots of shoots, but it does get some turbulance
from the waterfall.

My questions are this. Should I lower it (the stalks are around 8" to
the leaves). Should I get another (I thought one would be more than
enough?) Should I transplant it (the store said no, container size did
not matter).

Anything else I am forgetting? I do have a couple of Koi...

You have had some atrocious advice there. They should have warned your
water lilies struggle by moving water, that koi can wreck a waterlily
trying to start up and that 4" pot is hopelessly inadequate to start a
water lily in. Heres some basics about getting a water lily to thrive:

ts not unusual for a lily to flower about four weeks after potting up,
in summer. Some lilies are more prolific than others, and much will
depend on the condition of the water lilies roots at the time of
planting

Lilies have two types of roots, feeder roots (no branching, often 4"
to 6" long... these do all the work)
and tether roots (much longer, many branches)

If your lily had intact feeder roots when it was planted, it may not
notice it has been moved... if the feeder roots were destroyed in
moving, the lilies chances of survival may be seriously set back,
possibly fatally

Feeder roots may take a month or so to establish... then they start a
cycle of leaves, then buds...

Some lilies have very low rates of buds to leaves, some very high
flower ratios

The ph of a pool can make a big difference too, if the ph is way over
8ph, that may well hamper the plant...

A lily tub can be as simple as a black bucket, try not to be tempted
to use the silly weave baskets that are sold in retailers, they do
nothing to stop any grazing fish from wrecking the brittle feeder
root tips... any ordinary garden soil is fine with a good proportion
of clay in it, many lilies will only thrive when they get the trace
minerals that clay is loaded with.... pinning the rhisome down with
some large stones usually works, to hold it down while roots are
formed. Make sure the growing point of the crown gets daylight, and
has plenty of room to grow across the bucket... As big a tub as
possible will keep it going longer, once established the lily tub's
main function is to anchor the mass of foliage...while not so large
you can't lift it out for future pruning... a few 'stab' holes every
4" or so should be adequate to ventilate the soil so it doesn't go off
(turns acidic) within the confines of the container

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps)