Old 07-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Carl Beyer

Default WIntering Hardy Lilly in LA question

My pond is about to slip into shade for the winter. I am not worried
about freezing, but the water will dip down close to the 50's for the
winter...

Anyway, what do I do with a hardy lilly for proper wintering in Los
Angeles. I have no sunny place to put it and keep it in the water...
It will get lots of reflected sunshine, but no direct light.

Thanks in advance

Carl

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Nedra

Hi Carl, Just trim off the leaves and put the lily pot on the bottom
of your pond. It winters over easily in all climates to zone 4!
Now - having said that -
I wonder if it needs the cold to stay alive? Someone
in warmer weather than mine will have to answer that one.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Old 07-10-2003, 11:42 PM
KenCo

Carl Beyer wrote:

My pond is about to slip into shade for the winter. I am not worried
about freezing, but the water will dip down close to the 50's for the
winter...

50's???? thats still spring and fall LOL!!!

no offense intended but you have no clue
what a real winter is

Anyway, what do I do with a hardy lilly for proper wintering in Los
Angeles. I have no sunny place to put it and keep it in the water...
It will get lots of reflected sunshine, but no direct light.

just trim it back if it dies back/goes dormant then leave it alone

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 08-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Barbara2245

Carl Beyer wrote in message ...
My pond is about to slip into shade for the winter. I am not worried
about freezing, but the water will dip down close to the 50's for the
winter...

Anyway, what do I do with a hardy lilly for proper wintering in Los
Angeles. I have no sunny place to put it and keep it in the water...
It will get lots of reflected sunshine, but no direct light.

Thanks in advance

Carl

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

I'm in Zone 4 so I have no sympathy for you. It should be just fine in
the pond where it will produce less pads and flowers. Happy water
gardening.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Carl Beyer

50's???? thats still spring and fall LOL!!!

no offense intended but you have no clue
what a real winter is

OK,,,, I do deserve that to an extent... But, I was raised in North
West Wyoming, right outside of Yellowstone.

I have woke up to find no exit out of the house cause the snow is 8 feet
deep. I have been in 40 below zero weather - car doors frozen, engine
frozen, life frozen...

But, I admit, I have become soft since coming to LA. I do really miss
weather, and a governor, an economy, fresh air, mountains, no silicone,
and normalcy (whatever that is).

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Old 08-10-2003, 03:05 AM
K30a

Carl wrote I do really miss
weather, and a governor, an economy, fresh air, mountains, no silicone,
and normalcy (whatever that is).

chortle!
I bet you would not miss earth that
moves, burns or gets blown away.
My brother lives in CA too and managed
to be in the World Series quake, the Northridge
quake and the Oakland fire.

k30a

Old 08-10-2003, 04:32 AM

condolences. the house next door is up for sale.
Ingrid in Milwaukee.

Carl Beyer wrote:
But, I admit, I have become soft since coming to LA. I do really miss
weather, and a governor, an economy, fresh air, mountains, no silicone,
and normalcy (whatever that is).

Carl

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Carl Beyer

chortle!
I bet you would not miss earth that
moves, burns or gets blown away.
My brother lives in CA too and managed
to be in the World Series quake, the Northridge
quake and the Oakland fire.

Where is he living now? Just want to be far, far away....

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 08-10-2003, 05:12 PM
KenCo

Carl Beyer wrote:

50's???? thats still spring and fall LOL!!!

no offense intended but you have no clue
what a real winter is

OK,,,, I do deserve that to an extent... But, I was raised in North
West Wyoming, right outside of Yellowstone.

hmm, I know a M. Clucas from that area.

I have woke up to find no exit out of the house cause the snow is 8 feet
deep. I have been in 40 below zero weather - car doors frozen, engine
frozen, life frozen...

But, I admit, I have become soft since coming to LA. I do really miss
weather, and a governor, an economy, fresh air, mountains, no silicone,
and normalcy (whatever that is).

Carl

you have Arnold for a Gov. now!!
I hope the line in Demolition Man
about him doesnt come true lol

Old 08-10-2003, 05:12 PM
K30a

Carl wrote Where is he living now? Just want to be far, far away....

Brother and family live in SF, a block from Golden
Gate park. He just updated their earthquake
cupboard...

k30a

Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation Chester Deja Ponds 9 15-05-2006 10:28 AM
Over wintering plants question Roy Ponds 6 05-09-2004 03:52 AM
Hardy Pond Lilly Propagation ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 14-08-2004 07:25 AM
Hardy Lilly Depth Carl Beyer Ponds 12 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Hardy Lilly question Carl Beyer Ponds 5 26-04-2003 04:08 PM