Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Joe Jamies

Default Help with Gardena garden pump

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a Gardena garden pump 4000/4 Jet (800 W, 4.2
bar, 3600 l/h) for watering my vegetable garden using the water well
on my property.

I tried for a few hours to get the pump working but no success. The
pump has a maximum suction height of 9 metres. The water well on my
property has been drilled 12 metres deep and the top-level of water is
7 metres deep. I purchased 3 Gardena suction hoses (one of them came
with filter and backflow preventer), each being 3.5 metres long, so
the total length is 10.5 metres.

I inserted the suction hose 8 m deep into the well and that means that
2.5 metres was left sitting above ground. I then followed all the
instructions in the manual, and waited 7 minutes and the pump was not
able to get the water flowing. Only a little bit of water came out of
my delivery hose immediately after switching on the pump.

Before I turned on the pump, I filled the pump with water and the
whole time I was doing this (and during the 7 minutes of waiting) I
was holding the delivery hose about 1 metre above the pump. Also, I
was lifting the suction hose slightly above the pump to make sure the
water I was pouring into the pump was not running off into the suction
hose.

By the sound of things, I'd say the pump was operating OK and I could
feel the vibrations while holding the delivery hose. But I have no
idea what could be the problem. Could it be that the total suction
hose length of 10.5 metres is too much, even though only 8 metres is
actually lowered into the well? Any other things I could try?

Thanks
Joe