Old 28-02-2003, 07:04 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Structural Integrity of pond walls...

For my VF design, I plan to heavily plant it...then have an urn or pot of
some sort in the center. That pot will sit with it's base at the water
level, and will have it's own pump in order to spill water up and out of it
back into the VF. It's purpose will be purely aesthetic. I figured my VF
will be 12 (to 18 inches *wink Nedra*) deep, so I want to have a small
central area of the VF that is just an inch or two deep, and just big enough
to hold the put, so say 12 inches in diameter. Do you think once the liner
is in and the pond is filled...this column of dirt will stand? Is there a
better method?

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 28-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Charles

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:25:56 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

For my VF design, I plan to heavily plant it...then have an urn or pot of
some sort in the center. That pot will sit with it's base at the water
level, and will have it's own pump in order to spill water up and out of it
back into the VF. It's purpose will be purely aesthetic. I figured my VF
will be 12 (to 18 inches *wink Nedra*) deep, so I want to have a small
central area of the VF that is just an inch or two deep, and just big enough
to hold the put, so say 12 inches in diameter. Do you think once the liner
is in and the pond is filled...this column of dirt will stand? Is there a
better method?

If I were doing it, I would make the bottom flat and put something
inside for the urn to set on.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 28-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
For my VF design, I plan to heavily plant it...then have an urn or pot of
some sort in the center. That pot will sit with it's base at the water
level, and will have it's own pump in order to spill water up and out of it
back into the VF. It's purpose will be purely aesthetic. I figured my VF
will be 12 (to 18 inches *wink Nedra*) deep, so I want to have a small
central area of the VF that is just an inch or two deep, and just big enough
to hold the put, so say 12 inches in diameter. Do you think once the liner
is in and the pond is filled...this column of dirt will stand? Is there a
better method?

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

It seems to me that it would be much simplier to have a flat
bottom and then put a milk crate with a piece of slate (or
something similar) then put your urn on this. If you need
to remove it for any reason it would be easy. Trying to fit
a liner over and around the column of dirt would not be fun
or easy.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 28-02-2003, 11:31 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

For my VF design, I plan to heavily plant it...then have an urn or pot of
some sort in the center. That pot will sit with it's base at the water
level, and will have it's own pump in order to spill water up and out of it
back into the VF. It's purpose will be purely aesthetic. I figured my VF
will be 12 (to 18 inches *wink Nedra*) deep, so I want to have a small
central area of the VF that is just an inch or two deep, and just big enough
to hold the put, so say 12 inches in diameter. Do you think once the liner
is in and the pond is filled...this column of dirt will stand? Is there a
better method?

Why not just set the pot on a pot?

Joe, thinking of pot.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
BenignVanilla

"Charles" wrote in message
snip
If I were doing it, I would make the bottom flat and put something
inside for the urn to set on.

snip

My spider-sense tells me this is going to be a popular response.

*laugh*

BV.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip
It seems to me that it would be much simplier to have a flat
bottom and then put a milk crate with a piece of slate (or
something similar) then put your urn on this. If you need
to remove it for any reason it would be easy. Trying to fit
a liner over and around the column of dirt would not be fun
or easy.

snip

I was worried about an eyesore issue, but the milk crate/slate idea is
perfect. That would create a very nice look. Thanks Bonnie!

BV.

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
snip
Why not just set the pot on a pot?

Joe, thinking of pot.

Why do I suddenly have the urge to eat Doritos by the bag?

BV.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:19 PM
zookeeper

We've also made plant stands for use in the pond out of PVC; someone
once had a web page with instructions, but it's very easy to put
together with scraps and joints. Just remember to drill a few holes at
the top and bottom so air/water can flow in/out (otherwise you end up
with a floating stand). If algae doesn't cover the white PVC quick
enough, you can paint the stand (with a fish safe paint).
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond