Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
K30a

Default Enlighten me please....

The toad explosion in your pond is contributing to the algae problems.
If you can, remove the egg strings and tadpoles to a kiddy pool. Fill with all
the algae you can net out, throw in some organic lettuce and a ramp for the
toadlets to exit the pond.
Hopefully the reduced nutrient level in your koi pond will drop.

k30a
Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Szpond

Thank you so much for your help. But, if I clean my bio-filter, don't I loose
all my "bugs"? It took me HOURS to clean all those little scrubby pads last
year. Store wanted $125 for new ones, so I spent the hours doing it. Perhaps
I should put something in the bio-filter that is easier to clean? I will do a
water change now.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Szpond" wrote in message
Thank you so much for your help. But, if I clean my bio-filter, don't I

loose
all my "bugs"? It took me HOURS to clean all those little scrubby pads

last
year. Store wanted $125 for new ones, so I spent the hours doing it.

Perhaps
I should put something in the bio-filter that is easier to clean? I will

do a
water change now.

I use a VF not a biofilter, but I think what the biofilter people are saying
is that you should get ridge of the sludge. Don't scrub each bio ball cleanm
just mix up the contents, get rid of any solids, etc.

BV.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
mad

the way i understand it is that you take the scrubbies out of the pond (a
friend keeps his in a net bag so he can handle them easily) and just squirts
them off with the water hose.
mad
--
"Never kick a cow chip on a hot day."
Will Rogers

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Szpond wrote:
Thank you so much for your help. But, if I clean my bio-filter, don't I loose
all my "bugs"? It took me HOURS to clean all those little scrubby pads last
year. Store wanted $125 for new ones, so I spent the hours doing it. Perhaps
I should put something in the bio-filter that is easier to clean? I will do a
water change now.

When I say clean the filter, I don't mean scrub - I mean
rinse with pond water. Fill a large bucket with pond water
and swish the pads, this way you don't loose the "bugs". If
the pads are clogged they can't filter anyway.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

Dont use tap water either unless you have well water. The "bugs" are
bacteria and city tap water contains chlorine which as you know is meant to
kill "bugs". =)

Sam

Old 11-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Denise

I clean filters once every day. Just take them out and rinse off well
with a hose. Amazing all the crap that comes out LOL.

I also use Stress Zyme in my koi pond. Good stuff.

Denise

Tour my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

As stated below, just rinse the darn things, don't "scrub" them! One of my
biggest faux pas was the first year I cleaned my biofilter . . . eewWWW! it
was all SLIMEY! So I scrubbed it squeeky clean. It took WEEKS to redevelop
biobugs! That slimey stuff is where they live! Just rinse the crud off. If
you can't use pond water, fill a tub with regular water, dechlor it, and use
that so you can get "swish" room.

Lee

Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Szpond wrote:
O.K. Background first. Pond dug last May. 18'x14', 4000+ gallons, waterfall,
4800 gph pump, 70 gall. biofilter. Went through the initial "green" stage last
year, and a few more times during the summer, but I now have green "floatees"
on the water, all my plant containers, hoses, etc. look "hairy" with the stuff.
I can skim the crap off all day long. Seems to not be there in the morning,
but is back by afternoon. Water even seems a little "thick", if that makes
sense. Please advise me what I have, and how I get rid of it. I do not know
enough to know if this is what "string" algae is. We have only 8 koi and
comets all around 8", lots of babies, and we had a HUGE explosion of toads -
would all these toad eggs have done it??
Also, UV filter. Have looked when people post locations to find them, but I
haven't seen one to handle the gallons of water we have. Would this be an
option? Does it need to be plugged into electiricity? Currently only have 2
plugs (being used by pump and lights). How many outlets do you have by your
pond? Do we need to add more? One other question...does biofilter need to be
cleaned out ever - I rinsed all the pads at the end of the year, but do I need
to do during the year also. It looks very "muddy" on all those tiny little
pads. Thanks again, Cathy

Hi Cathy,
Welcome to the group. I am not an expert but your filter
seems small for a pond the size of yours. And yes, you must
clean the filter whenever it looks dirty. This may be
weekly or more often.
The hairy stuff is what we call sweater algae - it is good.
The fish will feed on it. The floating stuff is not good
and can be scooped out.
Have you done any water changes? This may be a good idea.
At least a 10% change and if your water has chlorine it must
be treated.
Have your plants started to grow. It is still early in the
season and patients may be required for the plants to grow
and help battle the green water. I don't use a UV light. I
use plants to achieve clear water.
Toads can cause a high ammonia reading on your test kit. A
water change may be called for in such a case. Test your
water to know for sure.