Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Bryan

Default Swimming pool liner? (or alt. liners)

Well, almost got my new hole dug, approx 19'*9' kidney shape, and plan on
having a 55 gal drum for a filter start of my stream.

Anyway I dug my hole, not pricing liners, and at the current finical
situation I can't afford $300+ for a "pond" liner

I got the idea of using a swimming pool liner, called one store in town and
said you
re welcome to anything in our dumpster, haven't found one yet, but hope to
soon. I called another and was told I don't want a swimming pool liner if
I'm going to have fish because the liner would be toxic to the fish. Is this
so? If so any other ideas, for at least temp. liner for the summer, I've got
too many lilies divided from last year for my current pond so I need bigger
soon.

Tarp, 6mil plastic in layers? maybe concrete?

I do plan on eventually getting a pond liner or concrete as my final liner,
but it won't be this year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bryan
http://www.safetybaby.com/yard4.htm

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bryan" wrote in message
Well, almost got my new hole dug, approx 19'*9' kidney shape, and plan on
having a 55 gal drum for a filter start of my stream.

Anyway I dug my hole, not pricing liners, and at the current finical
situation I can't afford $300+ for a "pond" liner

My liner cost just over $300.00 for a 20x25 piece, and a 10x15 piece of
EPDM. Permalon, although I have not used it, is cheaper and just as easy to
work with as I am told. I suggest you check pondtechnology.com for EPDM and
kenco.com for Permalon.

Using anything but a perm liner is just going to be so much work I am not
sure it is worth it. Give the extra lillies away or compost them. Just don't
build a pond from a tarp to save lillies. That seems extreme. Save a bit
longer and get a real liner.

BV.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Michael Shaffer

A plastic drop cloth (like they sell in the painting department at home
depot) would be fine for a summer. Just don't walk on it or you could
puncture it. I'm using one right now to figure out where to put my
veggie pond.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:12:31 -0500, Bryan wrote:

Well, almost got my new hole dug, approx 19'*9' kidney shape, and
plan on having a 55 gal drum for a filter start of my stream.

Anyway I dug my hole, not pricing liners, and at the current finical
situation I can't afford $300+ for a "pond" liner

I got the idea of using a swimming pool liner, called one store in
town and said you
re welcome to anything in our dumpster, haven't found one yet, but
hope to soon. I called another and was told I don't want a swimming
pool liner if I'm going to have fish because the liner would be
toxic to the fish. Is this so?

I used a new but cast-off pool liner for the first two years in my
first pond. It didn't harm fish but it was butt-ugly! It also
deteriorated by the second year.

--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Gareee©

Our test plans are to use a kids plastic pool, and paint it black with the
new Krylon fusion paint. It'll be about 2 months before we can impliment
this, as we are moving to the new land first...

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 13-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Mosfunland

YIKES, get some roofing rubber from a roofer. It's cheaper than the "pond"
rubber If you know a roofer you can barter.....Works just fine. Been working
here just fine.....and it was free.....

Maureen
Old 17-05-2003, 02:56 PM
N. Zitney

It was my understanding, and this was confirmed by a pool store, that the
liners are impregnated with some kind of algaecide that would be harmful
to the fish.
YMMV.