Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Kevin Carbis

Default Applying mortar over the liner?

I've just unfurled the EPDM liner in the new pond, 30' x 40' and
nearly 500 pounds. I've had a professional pond builder out a few
times for consultation and he has something of an odd recommendation
that I am struggling with. In his ponds, he installs an additional
layer of fabric over the liner, then adds a layer of chicken wire and
coats the entire pond surface with mortar. He applys two coats, a
base coat that is 3/4 to 1 inch thick followed by a "tint" coat that
colors and smooths the surface. I don't mind doing the extra work if
it is worth doing. I like the idea of protecting the liner (racoons
around here) and hiding the folds under mortar. But here is my
concern. Liner is thick, the folds generate air pockets which I will
be mortaring over. Once the pond is filled, won't the pressure of the
water against the sides compress those pockets, weakening the mortar
and causing it to crack and crumble. While I don't mind the added
effort, I do mind having pockmarked walls with exposed chicken wire.

I'd be curious to hear peoples thoughts on this idea.

Thanks in advance for your time and happy ponding,
Kevin
Northern California
Old 17-06-2003, 05:20 PM
joe

Kevin Carbis wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm not a professional pond guy, but I play one on TV.

We put our pond in last year. After digging the hole we put a layer of
chicken wire (we have gophers and figured what could it hurt) then a layer
of padding and then the liner. We walked all over it, put rocks on it and
(knock on wood) never a leak. The stuff is very tough. Did the fellow say
why he would mortar the whole thing?

Joe

Old 17-06-2003, 05:44 PM
John Rutz

Kevin Carbis wrote:
[...]

-- Ive heard of putting liner over a mortar/concrete pond to stop leaks
but never mortat over liner thats totaly weird in my opinion

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Michael Shaffer

I have a pond book that shows examples of this in a stream, to keep
water flowing over the rocks instead of between them.

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Kevin Carbis wrote:
[...]

I don't think it would be necessary. Mine has been
in for 7 or 8 years and I've had no problems without
anything covering the EDPM. I've walked on it and also
dropped rocks on it - it's tough. Besides that, in
California I'd be worried about cracks in the concrete.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
joe

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I have a pond book that shows examples of this in a stream, to keep
water flowing over the rocks instead of between them.

Yeah, maybe, but nowadays there is foam to do that job.

Joe