Old 15-05-2003, 10:20 PM
*muffin*

Default quarantine fish(?)

I have read where , when you bring NEW fish into an established pond, you
guys quarantine them.

what is the directions?
where??? can you put them into a really BIG plastic tub? with an air stone?

how long are they kept there??

what would you put in the water with them??
salt ? (what concentration? is sea salt the same as table salt,, or
water softener salt???)
potassium permanganate??

(ok, for my first pond stocking..... I know its gonna be wrong, but will
probably get most fish same time & not quarantine them, but need above info
for when I 'add' future fish)

Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 AM
John Rutz

*muffin* wrote:
I have read where , when you bring NEW fish into an established pond, you
guys quarantine them.

what is the directions?
where??? can you put them into a really BIG plastic tub? with an air stone?

how long are they kept there??

what would you put in the water with them??
salt ? (what concentration? is sea salt the same as table salt,, or
water softener salt???)
potassium permanganate??

(ok, for my first pond stocking..... I know its gonna be wrong, but will
probably get most fish same time & not quarantine them, but need above info
for when I 'add' future fish)

quarantine for 30 days min I do 45-60 days any container with air
will work

sea salt or water softener salt is pure non iodized
table salt is iodized not good for the fish

be sure to equalize temps between the bag of fish and your pond float
the bag in the pond in shade if possible for 15-20 min before releasing
the nwew babies
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

A stock watering trough or a kiddie swimming pool make good quarantine
tanks. They are generally smaller than the pond, which makes netting the
fish, observing the fish and the quantity of chemicals used better, but due
to the small quantity of water, it is more difficult to maintain the
ammonia, nitrites, pH and temperature properly. The control of the
environment is very important since changes cause stress, and stress reduces
the immune system. No quarantine is better than poor quarantine. A good
filter system can be maintained in operational form by the addition of small
amounts of household, nonsudsing ammonia on a daily basis to feed the
biobugs, or a few fish can be kept in the system to keep the filter going,
and moved out when a new fish needs the quarantine.
--
RichToyBox

Old 18-05-2003, 07:20 PM
~ jan

Hi muffin,

Here's is an excellent article on why to quarantine:
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles

what is the directions?
(ok, for my first pond stocking..... I know its gonna be wrong, but will
probably get most fish same time & not quarantine them, but need above info
for when I 'add' future fish)

It is okay to put new fish into a new pond without prior residents. The
only problem is if there is a problem with the fish you won't know if it
was something that came with the fish or a problem with the pond. I try to
get folks to set up their quarantine situation, and buy fish while in the
process of digging. This way they learn all about water quality, filtration
and much more while digging.

Once your new fish have adjusted to the pond (without a quarantine period
elsewhere). Set up a quarantine tank and buy 2 more fish, wait 3-4 weeks
and if all is well, take one of the original fish from the pond (the one
you least like) and put it in with the new ones. Wait another 3-4 weeks, if
everyone is happy they can all go back in the pond. If the new ones die and
the pond fish lives, the ones you orginally purchased may be carriers of a
virus. If your pond fish dies and the new ones lives, I'd suspect them of a
virus. All diagnostics are off if at any time you lost water quality. ;o)

Now isn't this a fun hobby you've gotten yourself into to? ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Retroactive Quarantine? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 25-02-2005 01:57 PM
To Quarantine first fish in tank... or not? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-01-2004 02:19 PM
Quarantine question ~ jan Ponds 0 04-05-2003 07:20 AM
Quarantine Tank Advice LeilaniR Ponds 2 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-02-2003 03:34 PM