Old 16-05-2003, 05:44 AM
jrock64

Default lowering PH/Allaline

-- you don't metion what your ph/alkalinity is here in New Mexico my
pond runs about 8.5--8.9 my plants and Koi do just fine ( plants are a
litle slow but they grow well over the season )
if its above 9 then start messing with it otherwise dont a stable Ph
is more benificial to the fish than a lower one and up and down swings
as you try to keep it at a certain level are more harmfull than anything

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Dry Tab Wide Range PH test kit.
Range 5.0 - 9.0. My fill water comes from a 12ft deep sandpoint(very high
water table) PH 8.5. My 1800 gal pond runs a PH from 8.5 to off the scale.
During the summer off the scale occurs about every two weeks at which time I
add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of muratic acid to a 5 gallon pail that drains into the
pond through a small hole over a 1/2 hour period. Went through two gallons
of muratic acid last year. My pond design does have a lot of cement blocks
inside of the pond but I would have thought that would no longer be a factor
after a year.

Is a very high PH something to be worried about??

Does anyone make a PH kit that tests over 9.0?? websites please.

See my semi formal pond at http://photos.yahoo.com/jrock64rose

Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 AM
bern

"jrock64" wrote in message news:61_wa.612891$Zo.133366@sccrnsc03...

I am using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Dry Tab Wide Range PH test kit.
Range 5.0 - 9.0. My fill water comes from a 12ft deep sandpoint(very high
water table) PH 8.5. My 1800 gal pond runs a PH from 8.5 to off the scale.
During the summer off the scale occurs about every two weeks at which time I
add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of muratic acid to a 5 gallon pail that drains into the
pond through a small hole over a 1/2 hour period.

This suggests to me something in the pond is raising the pH.

My pond design does have a lot of cement blocks
inside of the pond but I would have thought that would no longer be a factor
after a year.

cement blocks will react with Muriatic acid. The acid will eventually
dissolve the blocks. In fact, I think the blocks are most likely the
source of your alkalinity. I would seriously consider covering them
with a plastic liner of some kind. Then the water will most likely not
change radically from the 8.5 it started at. Having to add Muriatic
acid to a pond indicated something is radically wrong; there is a
major source of alkalinity in there somewhere.

See my semi formal pond at http://photos.yahoo.com/jrock64rose

It is quite lovely.

lowering PH? Mon Chi Chi Gardening 7 19-05-2004 12:02 AM
Lowering PH tippy1 Edible Gardening 10 16-08-2003 04:02 AM
Lowering pH Jeff & Kathy Brown Ponds 23 30-07-2003 02:22 PM
Lowering a cupressus John Owens United Kingdom 9 04-07-2003 10:08 PM
lowering PH/Alkaline *muffin* Ponds 17 22-05-2003 12:44 PM