Old 18-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Mon Chi Chi

Default lowering PH?

How can I lower PH in my indoor garden. I am at around 7.0 and I want to get
to about 5.9 for my tomatoes. I have used aquarium product before but found
it to be expensive. I am not sure what product to use that will not harm my
plants as they are for human consumption...

mon

---

Old 18-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:14:16 -0400, "Mon Chi Chi"
wrote:

How can I lower PH in my indoor garden. I am at around 7.0 and I want to get
to about 5.9 for my tomatoes. I have used aquarium product before but found
it to be expensive. I am not sure what product to use that will not harm my
plants as they are for human consumption...

mon

If you add compost to your garden, the decaying matter will produce
acids. If you work the compost into the soil using a tiller, the soil
will become increasingly sour and chemicals will leach out. Acidic
materials you can add include peat moss, sulfur, or aluminum sulfate.
For your desired pH of 5.9, use 5 pounds of peat moss, 2.5 pounds of
sulfur, or 15 pounds of aluminum sulfate per 100 sq foot of garden
space. It is better to till in the additive than just spread it over
the ground. You'll need less of the additives for sandy soil and
somewhat more for heavy clay soil. Changes in pH do not happen
overnight. Test pH again in 6 months.

I've grown tomatoes for many years and never had concern about pH.
Temperature seems to be more of a problem.
Old 18-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Mon Chi Chi

this is an indoor garden as my area is to cool to grow out doors for good
results with my chilies and tomatoes.. I am looking for a way to ph my
water. I am growing in sphagnum peat moss,vermiculite/perlite/worm casting
medium..just want to get my water ph correct for veg and flower.. I do
regular flushing of the pots but I want to know how to ph the water I feed
and flush with.. I heard dolomite lime is 7.0 and you can top dress pots..
and vinegar works but how much to lower from 7.8 to 6.0 .. also I heard
citric acid can work.. any other ideas..
mon

Old 18-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Michelle

Coffee grounds I just put all my coffee grounds in my tomato garden
i noticed a differance in the health of my tomatoes when I use them
as compared to when I don't. and they do slowly raise acid levles in
a garden spot. and my neighbors swear by the ashes from their grill
but I don't have a charcoal grill so I don't know about that .

Old 18-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Hal

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:02:39 -0400, "Mon Chi Chi"
wrote:

I do
regular flushing of the pots but I want to know how to ph the water I feed
and flush with..

I have this information related to lowering pH in a fish pond.

Muriatic acid (31% HCl) a doses of approximately 2 fluid ounces per
1000 gallons per day until you reach the desired pH. The acid
consumes the KH (alkalinity or carbonate hardness, the thing that
stabilizes pH in a fish pond.).

Muriatic acid is used for cleaning concrete and you can buy it in the
building supply section of Lowe's or other hardware type stores for a
few dollars a gallon and that will last you a long time.

Always pour acid into the water. Never pour water into the acid!

Regards,

Hal

Old 18-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Beecrofter

"Mon Chi Chi" wrote in message ...
How can I lower PH in my indoor garden. I am at around 7.0 and I want to get
to about 5.9 for my tomatoes. I have used aquarium product before but found
it to be expensive. I am not sure what product to use that will not harm my
plants as they are for human consumption...

mon

---

The common method is with agricultural sulfur or with aluminum
sulphate.
A decent soil rich in organic materials such as leaf mold will
probably do fine with no ammendment.
Old 18-05-2004, 10:53 PM
George Orwell

I believe that Mon wants to lower the pH of a hydroponic nutrient
solution not soil. The best thing to use is phosphoric acid. That is
what is in the pH down
products available from stores that sell hydroponic supplies. Try
www.wormsway.com. This should be safe for veggies. If you want a cheaper
solution you can try getting some 85% phosphoric acid from a chemical
supply house. Try daigger.com or vwrsci.com. If you get the 85% stuff,
dilute
it carefully 1:3 before using. Add phosphoric acid SLOWLY over the
course of several days as there is the potential for quick changes in pH
which will not make your plants happy.

--
Stephen Sassman
Analytical Chemist

Lowering PH tippy1 Edible Gardening 10 16-08-2003 04:02 AM
Lowering pH Jeff & Kathy Brown Ponds 23 30-07-2003 02:22 PM
Lowering a cupressus John Owens United Kingdom 9 04-07-2003 10:08 PM
lowering PH/Alkaline *muffin* Ponds 17 22-05-2003 12:44 PM
lowering PH/Allaline jrock64 Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:56 AM