Old 18-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Robert Ramirez

Default Newbie? Prefilters or Not

Can anyone tell me if a prefilter (mine is the sponge type) is necessary on
a pond fountain pump (Beckett 535 GPH) or is it okay to just go with a
regular bio filter directly to the pump. I will only be using this on a 160
gallon preformed pond.
From all the previous post I've read, prefilters (at least not the sponge
type) don't seem to be too popular or a pain keeping it clean.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 18-05-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Robert Ramirez" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me if a prefilter (mine is the sponge type) is necessary

on
a pond fountain pump (Beckett 535 GPH) or is it okay to just go with a
regular bio filter directly to the pump. I will only be using this on a

160
gallon preformed pond.
From all the previous post I've read, prefilters (at least not the sponge
type) don't seem to be too popular or a pain keeping it clean.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Robert without a prefilter you run the risk of debris getting sucked into
your pump. Most of the time, this is not a problem because the pumps are
designed to chew up small stuff. The day you get something big...ouch.

I have a 500 gallon or so VF, and my pump sits in the bottom. I don't use a
prefilter at all, My inflow enters the VF at one end, and the pump is at the
other.

BV.

BV.

Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Robert, I made this for my pumps to go in so they don't get clogged.
http://priss31.tripod.com/filter.html
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

"Robert Ramirez" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me if a prefilter (mine is the sponge type) is necessary

on
a pond fountain pump (Beckett 535 GPH) or is it okay to just go with a
regular bio filter directly to the pump. I will only be using this on a

160
gallon preformed pond.
From all the previous post I've read, prefilters (at least not the sponge