Old 19-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Tbumpy

Default Too many fish

We have a large pond (about 3500 gallons) and it's just full of goldfish. We
were able to catch some last year and give them away, but this year they have
gotten smarter. We could easily give away 100 fish and still have plenty. The
problem is catching them. Does anyone know of a way other than netting them
since the pond is so large and the fish are so fast?
Old 19-05-2003, 03:44 PM
K30a

We caught all the fish in our 3000 gallon
pond by draining the pond and netting them out.
There doesn't seem to be any easy way to
do it.

k30a
Old 19-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Just Me \Koi\

You can easily net most of them. Buy a net (Bird net from Home Depot), tie
rocks to the bottom of the nets strung across the pond, and use the net to
coral the fish into one end in a bunch. Then pick out the ones you want to
give away. Works very well.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 19-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Matt the Rat

Tbumpy wrote:
We have a large pond (about 3500 gallons) and it's just full of goldfish. We
were able to catch some last year and give them away, but this year they have
gotten smarter. We could easily give away 100 fish and still have plenty. The
problem is catching them. Does anyone know of a way other than netting them
since the pond is so large and the fish are so fast?

Somebody had a suggestion earlier, which I should be trying tomorrow.
Take a plastic drink bottle, cut off the top 1/3, turn upside down and
staple it to the bottom section. This creates a sort of funnel.

Hopefully with a bit of bait small-and-dim fish will swim inside and not
be able to work out how to escape.

--
Matt
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com

Old 27-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve

"Tbumpy" wrote in message
We have a large pond (about 3500 gallons) and it's just full of goldfish.

We
were able to catch some last year and give them away, but this year they

have
gotten smarter. We could easily give away 100 fish and still have plenty.

The
problem is catching them. Does anyone know of a way other than netting

them
since the pond is so large and the fish are so fast?

Minnow traps are available, or you can make one. They have an outside
cylinder and two funnel shaped ends. They are made out of mesh. The fish
swim into the cones to the bait, and can't get out. Sold in many sporting
goods stores. Reasonable.

--
Steve

~*~ Illegitimi Non Carborundum ~*~

To e mail me, drop one of the "t" s in my e mail address

Old 30-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Tbumpy

What's the largest size fish that can or will swim into one of these? I would
like to keep the larger one, even though they're the ones making all the
babies. Also, someone said they were going to try to use the inverted soda
bottle method. I'm wondering if it worked.
Old 30-05-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

I have a commercially made minnow trap
and I can have two inch fish in there.

(Also had a big goldy get stuck and
that was very upsetting and I hope
never happens again. Kind of a Darwin
thing but I don't mind having stupid fish
in the pond...)

k30a