Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Mosfunland

Default Electricity to pond

But does PVC at 6inches meet local code?

I don't think running an extension cord no matter where it is will meet the
local code....not for a permanent installation. My electrician took one look
at mine, and didn't like it, but I didn't have the money to have him to fix it
at the time. That's how it was.

When I did, he came back and installed lines to code.

Maureen
Old 09-06-2004, 02:57 PM
matrix j

I have been doing the old cord thing also for years. I usually make my
pond bigger every two to three years "yea I got the disease" so
anything permanent is a no no at least for me lol ;-)

But I do replace all cords every 2 years.
Also try to get the heaviest gauge possible.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
dkat

When I asked my electrician to run a line out to my pond he told me to do it
myself by just trenching down as you would for a lawn sprinkler system and
put the outdoor extension cord through PVC. I may do that some year.... He
did not seem at all concerned about it as an issue. In the mean time my 50'
outdoor extension cord does just fine laying under the grass a couple of
inches at most. One year I did cut my cord in two with my persistent
attempt to dig a hole in the grass (could not for the life of me figure out
what my shovel would not go through.... which is really why you want to have
your cord in PVC pipe...). I now know not to shovel casually in the grass.
My husband mows the yard and he is well insured (we discuss how we are
going to spend each others insurance money when the other keels over.... so
far we seem to find that neither of us is worth killing off). My shovel vs.
electric cord experience made me realize how important it is for all outdoor
outlets to be GFI.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

"dkat" wrote in message
[...]

*he he*. Reminds me of the time a few weeks back when I was tearing out a
wall, and thought I had shut the breakers off. Snip, snip, POP,
AHAHHHhhhhh!!!

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:16 PM
RichToyBox

BV,

That is a modification on the way I determine which breaker to turn off.
Deliberately short circuit hot to ground. Quite a sound and flash, which is
still scary. I think it would be far scarier, not knowing it was hot than
when I know it is hot.
--
RichToyBox