Old 19-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Electricity to pond

It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

Old 19-05-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

Hi Sue,

We had an electrician run a line from our house to the pond area. And we had to
pass city inspection. We have two outlets out there.
All in all it was about $400.
DH, being an electrical engineer, wanted to it by the book the entire way.

k30a
Old 19-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Sue Alexandre wrote:
It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

I'm lucky, my dh has a EE degree and has been playing with
electricty for years.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 PM
jammer

On Mon, 19 May 2003 17:48:43 GMT, "Sue Alexandre"
wrote:

It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

Rent a trencher and do some of the work yourself. The cables have to
be buried.

Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 PM
K30a

jammer wrote Rent a trencher and do some of the work yourself

We rented a college linebacker ;-)

k30a

Old 19-05-2003, 11:08 PM
joe

wrote:

It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

Rent a trencher and do some of the work yourself. The cables have to
be buried.

They don't have to be buried, but if not buried they have to be in conduit.
At least here in San Diego.

Joe

Old 19-05-2003, 11:08 PM
jammer

On 19 May 2003 21:02:32 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

jammer wrote Rent a trencher and do some of the work yourself

We rented a college linebacker ;-)

k30a

LOL !

Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
~ jan

I ran an extension cord for over 7 years, but it was thru the landscaping,
not on the grass. DH and DS finally put in direct burial and etc. by the
code book to where I needed it. ~ jan

wrote:

It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I would recommend you check to see what your local building codes
require. Where I live, if you run non-metallic exterior cable or
plastic conduit, it must be at least 18" deep. The reason for this is
so no one puts a shovel through the wire. If you run metal conduit,
it must be at least 6" deep. Also, a GFCI is mandatory.

Old 20-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
It never occurred to me before until I started planning my new turtle
pond..... where do most people get their electricity from to run our

ponds?
I was very fortunate in that I dug mine where the previous owners had a
swimming pool so there were already outlets in the yard, but what does one
do when that is NOT the case? The spot that I'd like to dig the turtle
pond in is not near my source of electricity. Are you all running
extension cords from your house, or what?!?!?!? Sheesh, such a basic
thing, but I never had to think about it before.
Sue

I ran out of budget for phase I, so right now I have a bright orange
extension cord running to my pond. In the fall, when I have more budget, I
plan to run service out by renting a trencher, and burying some PVC. I am
going to run two circuits worth of power and some coax for a cam. *yeeha* My
buddy is an electrician, so he is going to help me hook it up when I am
ready.

My 2cents.

BV

Old 20-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote:

[...]

Do you mean the pipe or her college line backer?

BV.

Old 20-05-2003, 04:32 PM
K30a

BV wrote Do you mean the pipe or her college line backer?

The college linebacker is now a biology teacher.
But now I've grown up my own football player and I've got him for the next five
years.

k30a
Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 PM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
BV wrote Do you mean the pipe or her college line backer?

The college linebacker is now a biology teacher.
But now I've grown up my own football player and I've got him for the next five
years.

k30a

now all you have to do is convince him digging ponds will give him all
the advantage when he runs with the ball :-)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Steve J. Noll

Fortunately, a couple careers ago I was a licensed electrician 8^)

Before I broke ground I had the city inspector come and look at the
situation to see what was needed. That starts you out on a good foot
with them - which you want to do 'cause if you get into a beef with
the inpector it isn't like you can go to their competitor.

A permit is very desireable. Here, nowadays, when you sell your house
the buyer's real estate agent pulls all the permits to make sure
everything's up to snuff. And things could get bad too if the buyer
was getting a vet loan and something was discovered unpermitted...

All I needed was an electrical permit ($37 for several outlets, an
outside light and a switch.) If I had wanted an water auto-fill valve
I would have needed a plumbing permit.

The bonehead who built the house didn't put in one outside electrical
outlet. I found an outlet in a room that was on a circuit that didn't
have much on it. This outlet was in an outside wall. I came out of
the back of that outlet (now on the outside of the house) into a
surface mount weatherproof outlet box. I won't go into detail, but I
ran all the wiring underground in rigid metal conduit - not necessary,
but much beefier than PVC - you can't pierce it with a pick and it
makes a super ground.

My only mistake was not putting in a separate GFI for the pump and the
UV. I have the pump & UV on one GFI, and the pond lights on a second
one.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 20-05-2003, 07:32 PM
joe

Benign Vanilla wrote:

Do you mean the pipe or her college line backer?

Where's my ten foot pole?

Joe