Old 20-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Electricity and Update

Hi everyone, and thank you to all of you who answered my question about
electricity. Since we have a 3-day weekend coming up, I guess I'll do it
right and dig a trench. Something tells me I won't be getting to that
stage today.

I started digging this morning at 10:00 a.m., and I've just come in now to
get some nourishment (3:00 p.m.) I have a feeling I'm going to be a very
sick puppy tonight/tomorrow..... I have been digging and hauling non-stop
for 5 hours in the scorching sun. I keep telling myself to take it easy
and at LEAST put on some sunscreen, but when I set my sights on something, I
don't like to stop for anything, but I always end up paying later. I have
been guzzling water non-stop, and still don't have to use the "facilities"
so I must be sweating it out as fast as I drink it.
Connecticut ground is SO FRUSTRATING to dig in, and especially in THIS yard
with all the trees! Every single shovel full I either hit a rock or hit
a big, thick tree root. I can't believe how much time I've spent trying to
pry out rocks and ax through roots. Actually my biggest hurdle might be the
one that was a blessing in disguise..... I hit a "rock" that I just couldn't
seem to find an end to. When I finally did, it was 19" diameter, round,
and 15" deep. And it had a metal stake sticking out of the middle of it.
It seems the previous owners must have poured a concrete footing or
something right where I was digging, and that was the thing that almost did
me in. But, with this stubborn personality, I was determined it would NOT
stop me from getting my turtle pond. It ended up being a blessing because
when I finally DID get it out, I have a spot that is nice and deep in the
pond.... I haven't measured yet but I'll bet it's 4 feet under ground level.
My little buddy/buddies should be able to overwinter in that round area
pretty nicely, and I figure that's the spot where all the leaves and muck
will accumulate, so they can burrow in there. OK, sorry I got so
chatty.... I'm heading back out before I start to notice how much my muscles
ache!
Sue

Old 20-05-2003, 08:20 PM
jammer

Be careful. I understand the DRIVE, because i did it last AUGUST in
TEXAS by myself. Keep chugging that water all night long and if you
feel overcome with tired, give it a rest. I dont know your heat and
humidity factor, but last june in only 94 degrees but humid, and it
was cloudy, I succumbed to heat exhaustion after 4 hours of pulling
weeds.

Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Sue Alexandre

Thanks, Jammer, I'm glad you can relate to that darned "drive" that makes us
behave foolishly sometimes. I finally called it quits about 5:30, and now
I'm sipping a cup of coffee to muster up the strength to hop in the shower.
Funny how I didn't realize how badly I hurt until I sat down for a few
minutes and tried to get up again. LOL This silly woman thinks it's OK
to never grow up and still be crazy for our pets no matter how old we are,
but my body, unfortunately, sometimes tries to tell me differently. I
think tomorrow is going to be a "sick" day.....both my bosses are out of
town anyway, and there is still so much more I'd like to do around here.
And heck, I'll tell them the truth.... I overdid it in the heat today and
now I'm paying!
Sue

Old 22-05-2003, 12:44 PM
C G

Sue Alexandre wrote:

Thanks, Jammer, I'm glad you can relate to that darned "drive" that makes us
behave foolishly sometimes. I finally called it quits about 5:30, and now
I'm sipping a cup of coffee to muster up the strength to hop in the shower.

Coffee is probably not the best of things to be drinking when you might
be dehydrated, it's a diuretic. Something like Gatorade would be a
better choice.

Funny how I didn't realize how badly I hurt until I sat down for a few
minutes and tried to get up again. LOL This silly woman thinks it's OK
to never grow up and still be crazy for our pets no matter how old we are,
but my body, unfortunately, sometimes tries to tell me differently.
I think tomorrow is going to be a "sick" day.....both my bosses are out of
town anyway, and there is still so much more I'd like to do around here.
And heck, I'll tell them the truth.... I overdid it in the heat today and
now I'm paying!
Sue

One word, Advil.