Old 21-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Nedra

Default this morning:

mad, I'll bet it did. I keep such a close watch whenever I use
the hose... I stay at the pond or just inside when I'm topping off.
The Water Dept.'s of Choloramine is what scares me. would kill my fish in
a second. I think I'll buy an oven timer tomorrow at Walmart ... then I
could at least relax a little.

Nedra

"mad" wrote in message
made me feel REAL stupid.
mad
--
"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the
Titanic who waved off the dessert cart."

From: "Carola / Les"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 07:59:31 +1000
Subject: this morning:

Glad I'm not the only one to do this !
I have even been out shopping when I suddenly remembered that i left the
hose running into the pond !
Fortunately, it was only overflowing into the garden when I got home so

no
real harm done. The fish took the opportunity to nibble at previously
inaccessible bits of algae.
My neighbour has the right Idea. He has a ball-cock fitted to the inlet

his pond ! Les.

"mad" wrote in message
i went out this morning to drink a cup of tea and watch the sun come up

over
the mountains and noticed that the water level was a bit low on my

pond.
so
i turned on the water and was letting the pond fill slowly. i finished

my
tea and went in the house. i booted up the old computer and downloaded

bunch of stuff. i decided to go back in the kitchen for another cup,

and
happened to look out the back door. the pond was full. i tore open the

back
door and leaned down and turned off the water, which i had failed to do

10
minutes earlier and thought i had. i caught it just before it went over

the
edge. whew! my 7 goldfish were swimming in the area near the lowest

edge
where the water would have gone over.
this comes of having a vehicle that turns off the lights automatically

if
forget to do it manually. i now expect the waterhose to do that, too.
sheesh.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 21-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You know what I use for timer? My cell phone! They have an alarm on them,
so I set the alarm to remind me to turn off the water to the pond, or to go
to a meeting, or to..........

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
mad, I'll bet it did. I keep such a close watch whenever I use
the hose... I stay at the pond or just inside when I'm topping off.
The Water Dept.'s of Choloramine is what scares me. would kill my fish

in
a second. I think I'll buy an oven timer tomorrow at Walmart ... then I
could at least relax a little.

Nedra

"mad" wrote in message
made me feel REAL stupid.
mad

From: "Carola / Les"

(http://www.bigpond.com)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds

Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Cleveland Ponder

My pond is 18' x 28' x 5.5' with a 25' stream which has two 5'-6'
pools, one 10" deep and one 16"deep. I put the hose into the filter
and let the water flow from the filter over the first waterfall, 2'
height, into the first pool. From the first pool it flows over an 8"
high spillway to the stream. It flows down the stream which has a
series of 2" to 3" drops to the second pool with a 12" drop. From the
second pool, the stream continues and splits. The main flow goes
straight to the pond with a final 2' drop. The split goes to a series
of drops into the pond. The stream width is 30". This provides a lot
of agitation and surface area for the chlorine to be released from the
water. I have never had any problem with fish being harmed.

"bobkiely" wrote in message news:%Owya.18232$%42.12780@fed1read06...
Hopefully, your pond is large. I did basically the same thing a month ago on
a Sunday late afternoon. I didn't have any anti-chlorate/chlorine chemical
and by the time I was able to get some the next morning I'd lost 3 of the 3
Koi I'd had for over a year. Hope you didn't lose any fish.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM
John Rutz

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
You know what I use for timer? My cell phone! They have an alarm on them,
so I set the alarm to remind me to turn off the water to the pond, or to go
to a meeting, or to..........

--

hmph I cant even figure out how to answer the dang things

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Two suggestions: My kitchen timer has a cord on it (like shower soap!) that
I slip around my neck any time I leave the pond during a refill.
Alternatively - and I have one! - you can go to HD to the same place they
sell the water hoses, etc. There is a water meter that you can buy for about
$20 or so that fits on the end of your water hose, or between the hose and
the spigot. You dial in the amount of water you want to pump in, add your
de-chlor to the pond and walk away. The meter will shut the water down. It
can also be used in reverse for folks who walk away when they're pumping out
for water changes, get distracted and come back to flopping fish in no
water. The meter is designed for landscaping needs, which is why it's cheap.
If the mfg. found out people could use if for ponding, it would cost 4X as
much G!

Lee

"mad" wrote in message
i went out this morning to drink a cup of tea and watch the sun come up

over
the mountains and noticed that the water level was a bit low on my pond.

so
i turned on the water and was letting the pond fill slowly. i finished my
tea and went in the house. i booted up the old computer and downloaded a

Old 21-05-2003, 05:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

All of this, "Oops, I forgot the hose" could be taken care of by a $10
water timer that goes on the faucet connected to the hose.

Of course if you go for the more expensive computerized ones, don't send
someone inexperienced out to set it. I had it going the other day and when
it turned off DH (downstairs and next to that particular outside faucet
which is annoyingly loud at low speed) sent me a Pop Up to my computer.
"Thank goodness the pond is done filling." That got me up from my computer
to look over the deck and realize it needed 10 minutes more. I sent him a
Pop Up (internal messaging) *Could you please set it for 10 more minutes?*
He replied, "If I can remember how." I sent back, *Press 1000 enter.* I
guess he must have hit one too many zeros, as I got out of the shower 30
minutes later I could still hear it running.

Now I ask you, how could he not notice it when he was complaining before?
Sheesh! ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Nedra

Lee, Thanks for the suggestion and how to use it! Never had
a clue how water timers actually work..... groan

Nedra

Old 21-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Lee Brouillet

The one I'm talking about works in gallons, not just "time". That way, you
can specifiy "300 gals." for a water change, and 300 gals. is all that will
come out/go in. Very handy. "Time" depends on water pressure, etc. and is
not quite as dependable.

Lee

link.net...

Old 21-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Nedra

Oh heck... gallons is what I meant But didn't say!
Thanks again...

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
The one I'm talking about works in gallons, not just "time". That way, you
can specifiy "300 gals." for a water change, and 300 gals. is all that

will
come out/go in. Very handy. "Time" depends on water pressure, etc. and is
not quite as dependable.

Lee

link.net...

Old 22-05-2003, 02:32 AM
mad

well, at least i won't have to top it up for a few days now. it has been
cool here (in the 70s) and today up in alpine it was in the upper 50s at 9am
when i went in to work. and they had a little moisture which we didn't get.
darn...
--
"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and
get back to you later."

From: "Nedra"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 04:32:39 GMT

mad, I'll bet it did. I keep such a close watch whenever I use
the hose... I stay at the pond or just inside when I'm topping off.
The Water Dept.'s of Choloramine is what scares me. would kill my fish in
a second. I think I'll buy an oven timer tomorrow at Walmart ... then I
could at least relax a little.

Nedra

"mad" wrote in message
made me feel REAL stupid.
mad

Old 22-05-2003, 02:44 AM
mad

but lee, this requires common sense! i could have done that, but i was still
half asleep. LOL
mad
--
I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk somewhere.

From: "Lee Brouillet"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 21 May 2003 09:39:13 -0500

Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"mad" wrote in message
well, at least i won't have to top it up for a few days now. it has been
cool here (in the 70s) and today up in alpine it was in the upper 50s at

9am
when i went in to work. and they had a little moisture which we didn't

get.
darn...

snip

In MD we have years of painful drought. This year, I am watching my new pond
overflow...every DAY!!! I am learning that my edging design is working well
to keep the water from destroying everything on the low side of the pond.
*laugh*

BV.

Old 22-05-2003, 04:20 PM
mad

living in the desert as i do, i simply cannot imagine that much water. for
one thing when it does rain here it is accompanied by wind that can take
your roof if it isn't nailed down tightly.

earlier someone mentioned (ingrid?) 55 inches of snow, too. sheesh! out here
we've had a dusting of snow the last 4 winters, but not this past year. the
snow is grainy like salt. it comes down at 10 am and you can hear it hit the
windows. then the sun comes out and it is all gone by 2 in the afternoon.

snow in the desert--ya gotta luv it...
mad

--
You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old
because you stop laughing.