Old 20-05-2003, 02:32 PM
mad

Default this morning:

i went out this morning to drink a cup of tea and watch the sun come up over
the mountains and noticed that the water level was a bit low on my pond. so
i turned on the water and was letting the pond fill slowly. i finished my
tea and went in the house. i booted up the old computer and downloaded a
bunch of stuff. i decided to go back in the kitchen for another cup, and
happened to look out the back door. the pond was full. i tore open the back
door and leaned down and turned off the water, which i had failed to do 10
minutes earlier and thought i had. i caught it just before it went over the
edge. whew! my 7 goldfish were swimming in the area near the lowest edge
where the water would have gone over.
this comes of having a vehicle that turns off the lights automatically if i
forget to do it manually. i now expect the waterhose to do that, too.
sheesh.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 20-05-2003, 03:32 PM
John Rutz

mad wrote:
[...]

-- guess you could go to the farm store and get a roll of goldfish wire
fence for around the pond GBG

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 PM
mad

LOLOLOLOL awfully small mesh don't you think?
LOLOLOL
mad
--
Beauty fades; dumb is forever.
Murray Blum, Judge Judy's dad

Old 20-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message

mad wrote:
[...]

I prefer the invisible goldfish fence. I bought it from the same place, I
got my invisible dog fence. Of course, I must admit, it is a pain in the
butt getting those little collars on every fish.

BV.

Old 20-05-2003, 04:08 PM
John Rutz

Benign Vanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message

mad wrote:

I prefer the invisible goldfish fence. I bought it from the same place, I
got my invisible dog fence. Of course, I must admit, it is a pain in the
butt getting those little collars on every fish.

BV.

-- and checkin em to make sure the fish havent outgrown the collar

Old 20-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I had left the hose running refilling my pond yesterday. About eleven
last night I remembered about it and went outside and turned the water
off. I decided to see how close to full the pond was, so I went to
the garage to turn on the outside light. I forgot to mention that I
was in my stocking feet, too lazy to put shoes on. Before I got to
the side door of the garage to turn on the light, I heard a splash and
the shock of a cold wet foot. I nno longer needed to turn the light
on to tell me the pond was full. Luckily, the rocks around the pond
prevent the fish from getting out, but allow the excess water to run
out.

Old 20-05-2003, 10:08 PM
bobkiely

Hopefully, your pond is large. I did basically the same thing a month ago on
a Sunday late afternoon. I didn't have any anti-chlorate/chlorine chemical
and by the time I was able to get some the next morning I'd lost 3 of the 3
Koi I'd had for over a year. Hope you didn't lose any fish.

om...

Old 20-05-2003, 10:44 PM
mad

luck you!
mad
--
"Keeping quiet in the first place means you don't
have to say 'I'm sorry' quite so often."

Old 20-05-2003, 10:56 PM
mad

i didn't lose any fish, thank God, and it's been cool all day today so i
didn't have to worry about over heated water. the wind has blown BIG TIME
today, though.
i have well water. it sits in a big tower until it comes down the pipe. no
chlorine unless they decide to clean out all our pipes. they never warn us,
either. i lost all my aquarium goldfish one time from filling directly from
the waterhose. i was nervous about it this morning, but i smelled the water
before i stuck the end into the pond and it didn't smell like chlorine. of
course, i have to be careful that my nose is working. it wasn't on the day i
filled the aquarium.
mad
--
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by
reading, the few who learn by observation and the

Old 20-05-2003, 11:08 PM
mad

luckY you, that is... LOL
mad
--
I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.

From: mad
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:43:48 -0500

luck you!
mad

Old 20-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Carola / Les

Glad I'm not the only one to do this !
I have even been out shopping when I suddenly remembered that i left the
hose running into the pond !
Fortunately, it was only overflowing into the garden when I got home so no
real harm done. The fish took the opportunity to nibble at previously
inaccessible bits of algae.
My neighbour has the right Idea. He has a ball-cock fitted to the inlet to
his pond ! Les.

Old 21-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Nedra

All these posts with folks leaving the water on to fill the ponds
makes me awfully nervous. My water dept. uses Chloramine so
I'm Very Very careful to turn off the water. Hope the losses were
kept to a minimum.

Be Careful guys!!

Nedra

. ..

Old 21-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Carola / Les

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
All these posts with folks leaving the water on to fill the ponds
makes me awfully nervous. My water dept. uses Chloramine so
I'm Very Very careful to turn off the water. Hope the losses were
kept to a minimum.

Be Careful guys!!

No worries Nedra ! Fortunately my water supply comes from an
underground reservoir and has very little added to it .
I am able to put it directly into my ponds without any problems.
Les.

Nedra

. ..

Old 21-05-2003, 03:56 AM
mad

made me feel REAL stupid.
mad
--
"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the
Titanic who waved off the dessert cart."

Old 21-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Cleveland Ponder" wrote in message
om...
I had left the hose running refilling my pond yesterday. About eleven
last night I remembered about it and went outside and turned the water
off. I decided to see how close to full the pond was, so I went to
the garage to turn on the outside light. I forgot to mention that I
was in my stocking feet, too lazy to put shoes on. Before I got to
the side door of the garage to turn on the light, I heard a splash and
the shock of a cold wet foot. I nno longer needed to turn the light
on to tell me the pond was full. Luckily, the rocks around the pond
prevent the fish from getting out, but allow the excess water to run
out.

I think I may have designed/built a solution to fish escaping via overflow,
totally by accident...the design/build part I mean. I want my plants to grow
right over the edge of the pond, as I am going for a natural look, and the
ring of pearls doesn't do it for me. So I laid a single course of flagstone
in several areas, and then piled the clay/dirt/soil/concrete material that
my yard is made of on top of the stones. This way turf and plants can grow
at the edge of the pond. The side effect of this, is that the water has a
bit of a lip around it in most areas. I'd need some pretty crafty fish to
get around this...wait a minute...never mind...

BV.